Captain Kangaroo Passes Away

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Tootsall, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Bob Keeshan, aka "Captain Kangaroo" has passed away today in Montpelier, Vermont. Bob was 76. I didn't know this until I read the report but he was also the original "Clarabell the Clown" on the old "Howdy Doody" show (probably the first TV show that I can remember watching!)

2. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    That is a great loss. He was one of the best.

RIP, Capt.

Mike

3. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    He meant a lot to me. Being born in 1951, my early memories of those early days of B&W, CBS & PBS local channels only tv is filled with those early Captain Kangaroo shows. He started when I was four and I loved his shows.

Later, my own boys were mesmerized by his show.

He was a very decent man who meant a lot to millions of kids and the world was better because he lived.

Tom Turner

4. Horn of Praise

Horn of Praise Pianissimo User

Nov 1, 2003
    United States
    I'm old enough to remember Captain Kangaroo. Wasn't his neighbor Mr. GreenJeans? Wasn't there also Bunny Rabbit?

Be well.

5. ML52K

ML52K New Friend

Dec 7, 2003
    Adirondacks
    Hi all,

I got the following message as a forward awhile ago, and it seems to be appropriate at this time. Hope you all enjoy it as much as I did.

Quite a few of us grew up with Captain Kangaroo, as you or your children
    probably did. I knew nothing of his background, only that his show was both
    entertaining, educational, and as kids, we looked forward to it with great
    anticipation. Captain Kangaroo turned 76 recently, which is odd, because he's never
    looked a day under 76 . (DOB: 6/27/27) It reminded me of the following story.
    Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Thought that you might enjoy the following.
    Ron

It appears some people have been a bit offended that Lee Marvin is buried in
    a grave alongside three and four star generals at Arlington National
    Cemetery. His marker gives his name, rank (PVT.) and service (USMC). Nothing else.
    Here's a guy who was only a famous movie star who served his time, why the heck
    does he rate burial with these guys? Well, following is the amazing answer:

I always liked Lee Marvin, but did not know the extent of his Corps
    experiences. In a time when many Hollywood stars served their country in the armed
    forces, often in rear-echelon posts where they were carefully protected, only to
    be trotted out to perform for the cameras in war bond promotions, Lee Marvin
    was a genuine hero. He won the Navy Cross at Iwo Jima. There is only one
    higher Naval award... the Medal Of Honor.

If that is a surprising comment on the true character of the man, he credits
    his sergeant with an even greater show of bravery.

Dialog from The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson; his guest was Lee Marvin:
    Johnny said, "Lee, I'll bet a lot of people are unaware that you were a Marine
    in the initial landing at Iwo Jima... and that during the course of that
    action you earned the Navy Cross and were severely wounded."

"Yeah, yeah... I got shot square in the ass and they gave me the Cross for
    securing a hot spot about halfway up Suribachi...bad thing about getting shot
    up on a mountain is guys gettin' shot hauling you down. But Johnny, at Iwo I
    served under the bravest man I ever knew... We both got the Cross the same day,
    but what he did for his Cross made mine look cheap in comparison. The dumb
    bastard actually stood up on Red Beach and directed his troops to move forward
    and get the hell off the beach. That Sergeant and I have been lifelong friends.
    When they brought me off Suribachi we passed the Sergeant and he lit a smoke
    and passed it to me lying on my belly on the litter and said, 'Where'd they
    get you Lee?' Well, Bob... if you make it home before me, tell Mom to sell the
    outhouse! Johnny, I'm not lying... Sergeant Keeshan was the bravest man I ever
    knew..... Bob Keeshan... you and the world know him as Captain Kangaroo."

On another note, there was this wimpy little man (who just passed away) on
    PBS, gentle and quiet. Mr. Rogers is another one of those you would least
    suspect of being anything but what he now portrays to our youth.

But Mr. Rogers was a US Navy Seal, combat proven in Vietnam with over
    twenty-five confirmed kills to his name. He wore a long sleeve sweater to cover the
    many tattoos on his forearm and biceps. A master in small arms and
    hand-to-hand combat, he was able to disarm or kill in a heartbeat. He hid that away and
    won our hearts with his quiet wit and charm.

America's real heroes don't flaunt what they did, they quietly go about
    their day to day lives, doing what they do best. They earned our respect and the
    freedom's that we all enjoy.

Look around and see if you can find one of those heroes in your midst.
    Often, they are the ones you'd least suspect, but would most like to have on your
    side if anything ever happened.

6. ML52K

ML52K New Friend

Dec 7, 2003
    Adirondacks
    Thanks for the heads up. I'm a bit embarrased for accepting this information at face value. It was easy to believe these guys were war heros!

7. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    I think NE is on to something.
    I know Lee Marvin was a decorated veteran who did remark his wound was in his backside, but Bob Keeshan would still have been a teenager and I would doubt he was a sergeant at Iwo Jima. Could be true though.
    I believe Mr. Rogers was working on TV in Pittsburg since 1960 or so..........
    I used to know exactly when to leave for school by what the Captain was doing on his show. That was when I was in 1st grade in 1956. He used to joke the longer the show was on the less time he needed in make-up and by the end of the 30 year run, he didn't need any at all.
    To those of you who were not around back then, I won't say life was "better", but it certainly was simpler and a whole lot slower paced. And for those of you born after 1980, you had to get up and turn the TV channel and volume by hand. You might have had 6 or 7 channels to choose from. Now we have 100's of channels of garbage. AM stations used to play classical music too.
    Ah, those good old days.........Mickey Mouse Club and Annette Funicello. We didn't know why, but we boy wanted her to be our best friend, even if she was a girl., right guys?

8. fatpauly

fatpauly Pianissimo User

Nov 11, 2003
    Ellicott City, Maryland
    Sorry to hear about Bob Keeshan. Count me in as another who watched the show in my early years.

I kinda doubt the veracity of the Lee Marvin story, since, being born in '27, Keeshan would have had to have been the youngest Marine Seargant on Iwo.

- Paul Artola
    Ellicott City, Maryland