Car dent removal way?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by BrassBandMajor, Sep 26, 2015.

1. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Colorado Springs

I'm pretty sure you can't practice your way to that. Isn't that something you're just "born" with?

2. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    There is an art to it but the correct tools and some good mentoring/practice is key. Of course a desire to learn the craft, patience and lots of time help too.

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I think I can do the Top photo pretty well, it does take some level of "Dumb & Dumber" to achieve, but I think I have it in me!!!

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    No, the heat and air repair does NOT work on brass instruments. Denting a horn can stretch the brass. A good tech works the dent back out mechanically.

5. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Colorado Springs
    Someone said it already, but brass is VERY malleable. That is one reason why we use it for instruments. Malleable = easy to make. Iron, steel, aluminum, are much less malleable. This makes them great for industrial applications (imagine an airplane made of brass :shock:). Copper is also very malleable, and brass is made of copper, plus zinc and maybe some other metals.

Because steel and aluminum are less malleable, they have more "memory," meaning it easier to put them back the way they were. A trumpet can never be put back the way it was, but only an approximation can be made. The best way to completely fix a trumpet dent and remove all signs that it ever existed is to reform the entire tube of brass.

So no, those kits won't work. Sorry.

6. Culbe

Culbe Forte User

Jul 25, 2014
    Normal
    Beautiful work! Olds special?

7. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Maybe a little more to do with basic elastic properties in these cases.

However, there are a few interesting memory metal copper-based alloys being developed that maybe have some relevance to us. This video shows a NiTi type as it happens, but gives the general idea. I used to have a pair of specs made out of this stuff..

8. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Yes cornet