Carbon Fiber Trumpets

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by LaTrompeta, Sep 16, 2015.

1. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Colorado Springs
    Has anyone ever toyed with this idea? I've seen a carbon fiber bell, but not a whole trumpet. It would be extremely lightweight and durable, but I don't know how it would sound.

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
  3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
  4. JRgroove

JRgroove Mezzo Piano User

Apr 8, 2014
    Kansas City
  5. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Guys like James Morrison and Arturo Sandoval could probably buzz into the drain of a cast iron bathtub and make it sound great, but I'd really like to know specifically why they like the da Carbo.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Why carbon fiber? Well, not because it is better, rather because it is different, more exclusive.

My standpoint is that we have to explore what is wrong with what we have and solve that to make something better.

What is wrong with a brass bell? Is there sound issues? Response issues? Intonation issues? Manufacturing issues? Weight issues?

I think that there is nothing intrinsically wrong with a brass trumpet. Therefore, carbon fiber is simply a technical exercize. I do have some feedback issues with carbon fiber and plastic bells. I guess if you are playing into a microphone, the monitor could replace acoustic feedback.......

I have also played carbon fiber Alphorns. Now here is a true innovation. They are now light enough to easily transport, the sections reliably fit together and nothing rots with age.

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    It would probably sound a lot like a plastic trumpet.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The innards of my rotary picc valves are carbon fiber. Super dependable, impervious to cold churches, low maintenance. Check out L├Ątzsch Full Flow Valves for more info.

9. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I've tried the DaCarbo - I was surprised that it essentially sounded the same to me as a brass bell. While the bell was lighter, unfortunately the model I liked best had such a heavy body that it wasn't something I would consider playing full time. Ultimately my Adams was still a better fit for me, and still is.

JRgroove likes this.
  10. JRgroove

JRgroove Mezzo Piano User

Apr 8, 2014
    Kansas City
    Perhaps it is cheaper to make.