Carbon Fiber Trumpets

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by LaTrompeta, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I think Carbon Fibre is expensive - just check F1 race cars, and others that use it....

Comparison of carbon fiber vs steel manufacturing costs

The advantage is strength for weight - Carbon is Light and durable and won't corrode. But any damage at all to the Carbon Fibre - just chuck it away - not repairable as far as I know.

Carbon Fibre has some reduced vibration characteristics as well, so I suppose it will focus the sound very well. But cost would be high.

2. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Not really comparing like for like here, Peter. I've had a good many carbon fibre shafted golf clubs and fishing rod blanks over the years and wouldn't really consider A36 structural steel a competitive substitute for either :-)

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I suppose I was just trying to find costs of Raw Materials for use in Manufacturing, and then on the Final product, how to repair any damage. I too use Carbon Fibre fishing rods and some Golf Clubs.

Brass sheet is a lot cheaper than a sheet of Carbon fibre, but a hammered brass bell, will be different to a hammered Carbon Fibre...

I also think in the USA some think Graphite is Carbon Fibre, so I was trying to get some price comparisons.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I think that for me the main reasons I'd want to go with a carbon fiber trumpet would be for weight and durability. It's going to be way lighter than brass, and you wouldn't have to worry about dents or corrosion, although supposedly there's a real issue with corrosion with metal parts in contact with the carbon fiber, so there's that I suppose.

5. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    A carbon fiber horn would make a good marching horn for those who just cannot avoid collisions and have a fat wallet.

6. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Gerry Lopez in Orlando had a few and I played them. Very nice, but not nice enough to pull the trigger. Where carbon fiber really makes sense is in trombone outer slides: straight forever and dent-proof.

7. peanuts56

peanuts56 Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2009
    I also play finger style ukulele and have tried a carbon fiber ukulele made by Blackbird Guitars. I believe that Blackbird states that the instruments body is not effected by the weather. I liked the instrument and if I were going to buy another uke I would consider the carbon fiber.
    I would love to try one of these horns as well as the plastic ones I've seen on youtube.

8. Rickyroughneck

Rickyroughneck Pianissimo User

Apr 22, 2012
    If weight loss is the goal then fine, but otherwise it sounds like a gimmick.

It definitely wouldn't be suitable for moving parts like valve casings because the wear would be to the laminating adhesive, not to the fibre itself. If the fibre itself starts to wear, then it is game over.

Perhaps it could work for lead pipes to provide chemical resistance (depending on the resin used).

9. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Is that 'definitely wouldn't' in the sense of 'I don't really know but it sounds a bit unlikely'? :-)

Bearings made of carbon fiber reinforced PEEK improve wear and friction performance | JEC Composites

Some of the newer carbon fibre composites make excellent bearing material.

10. Tomaso

Tomaso Pianissimo User

Oct 2, 2014
    New York City
    Hearing it on line is not the best circumstance, but I think it out-brasses brass in the sound department - assertive, full, deep, edgy and not, all at the same time, I absolutely LOVE it!

I disagree with Rowuk- if humanity only replaced/improved things because there was something wrong with them and not because they were following a dream we'd still be riding around in wagons pulled by animals.