Carbon Fiber Trumpets

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by LaTrompeta, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Tomaso

Tomaso Pianissimo User

Oct 2, 2014
    New York City

Does that include the new Boeing Dreamliner? You think Boeing engineers are "fools" for going "definitive" with carbon fiber?
    Of course technical know-how and improved materials are changing its use! As a matter of fact, in today's industrial environment, almost every technology is advancing, both in raw materials, manufacturing, and product. None of which invalidates my first observation. Products made with today's carbon fiber are products made with today's carbon fiber. Should we not attempt to manufacture trumpets out of carbon fiber because it's composition will be improved as time passes? Does that make them any the less useful? Will they be obsolete some day? Of course. They're obsolescent right now. Brass is too. Wooden clarinets? Ha ha ha! Imagine that!
    Your great grandchildren will laugh at Boeing's crude attempts to use carbon fiber in airplanes.
    So what?

Thomas/

2. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    This sounds exactly like a conversation I had yesterday with a prominent trumpet maker.
    The funny thing is, you're right.

3. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    I wasn't being critical of you in my previous post, Thomas, quite the opposite in fact.

Forgive me if I don't respond to your questions above. I guess they're probably rhetorical anyway :-)

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I don't think that we are at the point where brass is becoming obsolete. We are not even at the point where anyone can name one single real "advantage" to carbon fiber, plastic or any other "21st century" material. Plastic is making its debut. We will see if they become throwaway items or if they withstand the test of time.

There are several levels of consideration here. One is sonic performance, one is geek appeal, another would be manufacturing advantages - if they even materialize. In the case of an airplane, we are considering fuel savings, manufacturing advantages, durability, perhaps even the fact that carbon is very high impedance and could provide other technical advantages. How many times has industry promised "great savings" and not delivered? Let's count the chickens when they hatch or perhaps start laying eggs themselves.

In any case, technology is rampant and 2 or 3 years are long enough to bring new generations of materials and manufacturing techniques. Whether this will mean anything to us Ambassador and Committee collectors is actually not hard to predict........

5. Macross

Macross New Friend

Mar 20, 2010
    First of all I'm very sorry for digging up an old thread.
    I've been playing a Bach VBS 1S for the past five or so years, unfortunately the third valve was hit (falling cymbal) during a gig last year, while it was repaired adequately its been painfully clear that when the instrument gets warmer the valve 'sticks' sometimes. The entire instrument has been cleaned thoroughly twice already and the problem persists.

Now I've been looking for a horn in the professional lineup (I have no idea where the VBS 1 stands, information is lacking and kind of conflicting, it's somewhere on the better end of intermediate as I understand) and came across the daCarbo things. They seem interesting even if on the expensive side. Unfortunately there is little adequate info on or reviews out there (apart from daCarbo propaganda I only recently found this blogpost http://trumpetscout.de/klassikhorn-aus-karbon-aufbau-und-klang-der-dacarbo-toni-maier/).

So hoping someone here had gotten some more hands on experience he/she is willing to share?

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Actually, I played a DaCarbo again last week Wednesday. I also had my Monette there at the music store (https://www.thomann.de/de/search_dir.html?bf=&sw=DaCarbo) as I was looking for a very compact hard gig ag. I found the gigbag, no reason to change instruments...

To be fair, the DaCarbo is a very fine trumpet. It speaks well, has good intonation, the tone does not have the core of a Xeno or Bach Stradivarius. Instead it has a brilliant "halo" around the sound. The carbon fiber does not pass vibration like brass does, that means we hear ourselves much differently. I consider this to be a disadvantage for me. It certainly has incredible geek factor and is fun and easy to play. Maybe if I spent most of my time in the studio...

My recommendation: play before you pay.

7. Macross

Macross New Friend

Mar 20, 2010
    Well, the problem is that stores in my vicinity (Belgium) primarily carry either Yamaha or Bach and I do want to check other brands as well.
    I know I can get to Adams within reasonable driving distance, but afaik the Thomann store is a bit too far (I live near the coast) at 700Km. To pay for it and use the 30-day return thing has popped in my mind but it feels a bit... off to do that.

I'm fairly sure your Monette is a dream to play on as well, but as far as I'm aware even the lower end models of Monette are as costly as the daCarbo TM.

I have come across a pretty funky JK Toneking Special as well, though it would probably not suit my needs.