Cardio Vascular Doc gave OK to proceed with dental restoration

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Ed Lee, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    March 15 2010 6:42 PM EDT

I'm back home from Wake Med Heart Center in Raleigh NC where cardio vascular Doc gave me OK for GO on dental restoration of ALL my upper teeth ... with the contingency that oral surgeon / dentist may want to proceed slowly so as to control bleeding. WOW! Phase 1 toward my 2nd comeback. Will make appt tomorrow with oral surgeon! I've not played since July 2008, but my deadline goal to regain what capability I had in 2008 is July 2011. :-)

2. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    What happened?? :-o Sorry, I am a newcomer here... :-)

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Good luck.

4. Jarrett

Jarrett Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Richland, MO
    wow Ed, that's crazy! You should ask him if he can get an exact mold of Arturo's teeth :p

Good luck! I know it can't possibly come fast enough!

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    In short I lost upper right frontal incisor on Pizza crust during our move here to NC in July 2008. It was a 50 year old crown. All but three remaining upper teeth were on a partial plate. Since move here lost one of those three teeth ... an anchor for my partial. About to go for full denture then, when my legs totally collapsed and sent me to local hospital with a helicopter ride directly on to Wake Med. They put stents in my iliac arteries and I'm back on my feet with cane (which I've had since 3 story fall in 1976). Prescribed Plavix and 2 full strength aspirin daily (blood thinners) that suspended oral surgery and dentistry. Now can pause blood thinners long enough to get full denture. I have ability to play ALL brass horns as is one interest I could pursue and do well with following 1976 disabilty from career and all sports and hunting interests. My goal is to be back where I was in July 2008 by July 2011. I have been using P.E.T.E. and twiddling my fingers on edge of table/desk vis fingering the valves through music, sometimes before my eyes and sometimes just in my head. Yes, I elated by my potential of 2nd comeback.

6. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    Wow. I really hope everything goes well, and that you fully recover, soon!!!

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Thanks Jarrett. Yep, since I can't afford the implants like Harry James got, Arturo's denture could be a possibilty ... but I really don't think his teeth would fit me anymore than his shoes. Extemporaneous Improvisation is my weakest music challenge ... but I've now 3 books on it checked out on loan from DC library that I've been reading for the last 2 months and hae filled about 2 staff books with notes.

8. Jarrett

Jarrett Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Richland, MO
    Well, if ya need anymore literature and/or are have any questions about improv, shoot me a pm! It is something you can get better at without a horn!

9. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Hi Ed,

thats good news, I have a full upper denture and it sure teaches you to play without pressure, the only down side is that each time it is renewed I almost have to relearn to play. Since my retirement I am able to devote more time to the trumpet and am steadily improving. I will be 72 at the end of this month.

Regards, Stuart.

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Stuart, I've long been an adamant advocate of not using any more pressure than is necessary to make a seal of your mpc to your lips, thus I do not expect to encounter a problem. Too, my whole left side has been a partial hooked to a few on the right since so long ago in the "60s and prior didn't interfere with my first comeback beginning in February 2006 and ending July 2008. My schedule now 3 months to have oral surgery getting 3 roots out and extrating 2 teeth and denture fitted. Then a year to get back to where I was in July 2008 which IMO was pretty darn good as includes piccolo trumpet, Bb cornet, Bb trumpet, mellophone in F, tenor trombone, non compensating euphonium, and C tuba for my Shilke P5-4 pic, cornet and Bb trumpets I play a Parduba 4 1/2 (for the trumpets an HJ model, the pic and cornet play the same mpc), for the Yamaha mellophone I play a Larry Kerchner IYM mpc and for the trombone and euphonium I play a Bach 6 1/2 AL, my tuba mpc is unmarked as well as my tuba being unidentified. I sight read very well, but my improv is weak. I''ll be 74 the end of May.

I may never regain walking well, but I'll be in hell if I can't resume playing.

Ed Lee

Jackson, Northampton County, North Carolina, USA
    Approx 20 miles E of I-95 on US 158. One half hour to Virginia border, 4 hours to District of Columbia (If not commuter rush hour or inclement weather) and likewise same time to Atlantic Ocean coast line (Outer Banks beaches)