Cardio's role in playing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mark_Kindy, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Just was wondering if there were any particular benefit to cardio work, in the case of playing trumpet. Perhaps better blood flow, maybe something pulmonary? One morning, my lips felt pretty rubbery, but after a light jog they felt fine; perhaps this is related?

Thanks!
    Mark

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I know of no direct relationship. There are so many world class musicians with bodies in desparate need of cardio. Their music stays wonderful until the stroke or heart attack. I have worked with players using yoga or martial arts to integrate their bodies.

I guess with most successful trumpet players, they learn their trade when their bodies are younger and normally able to handle stress better. When things like clogged blood vessels and blood pressure issues come into play, they are already playing efficiently and can get away with more. I know a few players that need beta blockers to get through performances. I can't say that cardio would be a solution though....... This could perhaps be material for a doctoral thesis?

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    .My trumpet instructor had me running and doing breathing exercises when I was in college .,. can't hurt right?

4. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    I almost always feel and play noticeably better after cardio (the exception being, when I am extremely tired...but even then a good run will usually greatly invigorate me). I am able to play passages much more to their full extent with much more 'air-to-spare.' I feel better, and enjoy playing much more, and I make less flubs, as my brain is better oxygenated.

As for big (in more ways than one) pro guys...just how much better would they be if they were actually healthy?

It's only common sense.

I'll bet that Botti guy does cardio. At the very least, it helps him sell tickets. ;)

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I feel better all around if I stay in reasonably good shape cardioly speaking. I had thought that getting into better shape would have a good effect on my trumpeting, but as it turns out, it doesn't, really. I'm finding my best and easiest playing with much less than full breaths, so I didn't really need the extra air. When I was talking about it with my cousin, who plays Shakuhachi flute, he told me that a particular yoga posture (that strengthens his stomach muscles) has helped him more than anything with breath control. Sorry, not sure which one it is .....

Turtle

6. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    The only time I have ever been asked to do cardio was in marching band and the one day I practiced with a drum corp. That was to make sure we could handle the additional stress of marching while playing. I wrestled in Jr. High so the marching was never taxing. Neither were the pushups that my evil section leader made me do. I actually got an award my sophomore year for doing the most push ups in a marching season. I am not sure cardio makes a difference in playing. A little over year ago I was doing 45 minutes of cardio at least 4 times a week. This past year I have stopped working out and gained close to 70lbs. I play better now than I did when I was working out.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    UH!! -- XJB, when the doctors arrive they will tell you that ----girth around the midsection is the leading cause of heart disease, high cholesterol, and certain cancers in MEN --- and by reducing that you will live a longer healthier life.

MY ADVICE is to think of the wife and kids --- and how in 20 years you would like to be healthy enough to play with the grandchildren, and NOT be on meds all the time.

ADJUST your playing to YOUR health AND NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND -- yes, I say get back into shape, and adjust your playing to that --- could be -"YOU THINK YOU PLAY BETTER -- because a year has transpired, and you ARE BETTER",

NO DOUBT losing weight will screw with the chops, fluid retention, fat deposits -- etc.

YES MARK -- sorry to disrupt your post --- but I think WE can use XJB as an example!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    who cares if Cardio helps you play the trumpet better??? ---- the LONG TERM EFFECT OF BEING HEALTHY ---- results in more QUALITY of life, and perhaps a QUALITY EXTENSION of life expectancy ---- which means YOU CAN PLAY THE TRUMPET LONGER IN LIFE-----which actually means YES- long term cardio will help YOU.

ps. sorry about the long post --- just wondering if the 84 year old Doc Severinsen does cardio???? -- the dude is going on tour this spring -- -but then again he ain't overweight --- is he???????????

8. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    If you do cardio, wouldn't that help expand the lungs thus allowing to take bigger breaths without being full? Just a thought...

9. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    At the age of 75 years, grossly obese due to heavy insulin dosage, a victim of severe congestive heart failure and chronic renal,(kidney ), failure, I have severe mobility problems, but, after about a three minute rest in a chair I can still play as well as I ever have.
    I do wish that I could reduce my weight, but, ANY exercise, even walking 50 feet has my heart pounding horrendously and I am gasping for air.

BTW, all of my doctors agree that my weight gain is almost all retention of fluids.

OLDLOU>>

10. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    The playing is better due to a year of practice, not due to weight gain. I am just using myself as an example to say that cardio has little effect on playing the trumpet.