Cardio's role in playing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mark_Kindy, Jan 29, 2012.

1. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    I have been hoping that someone would start a thread titled Jimmy(xjb0906) Is Wonderful And Would Be As Successful As Chris Botti If He Were Skinny.

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I wasn't picking on you - per say, just illustrating that "keeping in shape" might NOT help with trumpet playing today, but in the long run, it just might improve your life, or the quality of that life, while you are able to play.

ps. I, myself, am 40 or so lbs over what the doctor recommends -- but hey, my doctor is like 120 lbs, soaking wet, so what does he know about fat people???? ROFL ROFL ROFL

I need to find a female doctor -- then when she nags me, I might not seem so disinterested in what she says --- or I will tune her out -- but, wait -- (I am still single) so I haven't developed the "tune out syndrome" to female voices yet!!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Few seemingly believe it, but the best exercise to lose weight is to push your plate away from you before you ask for or take another serving of food. Otherwise, any dietician will tell you to reduce your caloric intake, but, too, few will get into the mathematics of weights and measures. However, this said, I've lost from 48 to 42" in waist measurement or 58 pounds since my heart surgery and post surgical atrial fibrilation. Still, I remember running 5 and 10Ks about everytime I had a chance to, and playing handball or squash often before going on duty when an opponent was available, then with a 38" waist.

While I continue with follow-up appointments with IM Doc, pulmonologist, and cardiologist doctors, my mobility is now not as severe seemingly as Old Lou's and my diabetic sugar readings range in the low hundred and I'm now only taking a minimum med to keep it so, and my O2 levels are consistent above 95. Before I take a bath at night, I'm now up to 20 minutes on my new combination stepper-eliptical treadmill. Too, I've recently started biking around Jackson NC weather permitting. My bike is an 18 speed and the topology in the immediate area were I bike has very little incline variation.

All that said, I'm slowly restoring my prior capability playing my brass instruments with now modified practice sessions of 30 minutes playing alternating with only 10 minutes rest, mostly twice a day except on Sundays, unless I'm playing in church.

All I say about a cardio workout is such should be followed with a like rest period before playing. For sure, if your "ticker" stops functioning properly you'll not be able to play well and you could be heading for your funeral.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    There is no cardio role benefit that I have seen report from playing the trumpet. I am betting there is respirator benefit; albeit, there was an interesting article published in the British Medical Journal that noted sax players have an exceptional low life expectancy, and they attributed this to circular breathing. So, if you play trumpet, and want to circular breathe, caution has just been casted into the wind.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Maybe so, maybe not, for you. For me, all I need to do is wash my face, put my dentures in, use my mouthwash, eat breakfast and speak with others and the "rubbery" flush in my lips I had upon awakening has dissipated.

6. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    Why would that be?

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    The added mass is giving you a better core to your sound. You could say your sound is phatter! ROFL

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I have to think that yoga is the way to go ... controlled breathing.. relaxing.

9. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC

10. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Very interesting posts all! I was considering the possibility of more oxygen being pulled out of the air, but I wasn't sure if it would work that way or not. I would think perhaps blood circulation would improve, but I guess it doesn't serve any real benefit (as has been seen, at least). Great stuff... well, KT's got a good point overall, too. Better to live longer, play the trumpet more! Good enough reason for cardio anyhow.