Cardio's role in playing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mark_Kindy, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    All I can say is, I don't know how many times I feel like a complete slug, and have only the inclination to crawl into couch-potato-Jabba-The-Hut mode, with Zero inclination to play my horn, but after a nice workout, I manage to get a very nice practice session in. .....And after that, I write run-on sentences.

2. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    One of the best players I know, (range, sound, endurance got it all) has serious asthma issues. Does not /cannot do deep breathing, holding long tones/pedals past exhaustion etc so how would cardio help?

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Maybe it's because those of us who play Bach, Schilke, Yamaha, Getzen, and Monette (as the ad suggested) are more gullible? ;-)

Hey Jerry. Like I said in my original reply, aerobic condition helps the muscles you use to breath work more efficiently. I'm not suggesting this is necessary for asthmatics or anyone else I'm just speaking of general principles.

Mike

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Not so much cardio, but being on asthma controllar medications can help significantly. I have asthma, and have excellent peak flow values on asthma controller therapy, and have not required rescue inhaler therapy in many months, and no requirement at all for additional therapy on gig dates. But I agree that this is less cardio therapy, more asthma control therapy.