care for Gold finish

Discussion in 'Horns' started by dizforprez, Aug 20, 2004.

1. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    I just bought a used trumpet with a gold plating.

Any tips etc. On how to care for this finish? It is my first gold plated horn.

Thanks,

Jason

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I recommend getting a microfiber cloth for wiping it down. That will help keep you from "rubbing the shine off". Just wash it once in a while with dish soap (not dishwasher soap), rinse "tap hot", let it dry. Do valves as you normally do.

You'll find that oil/grease/finger marks tend to wipe off much easier than from silver but there is a tendency to go "AHA! JUST WIPE... NO MORE WASHING!". Caution: that'll slowly erode the gold finish which is softer than silver. Wash it instead... only takes a couple of minutes. Use 'forementioned microfiber cloth... you can get them at optometrist for cheap... used for cleaning plastic lenses.

3. Thevor

Thevor Pianissimo User

Oct 24, 2003
    Next to the Volcano
    I would shy away from Brillo Pads :lol:

4. DrunkIQ

DrunkIQ Pianissimo User

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    At some point you may get a black spot on the horn. Use a tad of flitz to remove it from the inflicted area.

enjoy!

-marc

Disclaimer: This post is intended for the use of the individuals which have rights to view this thread and may contain information that is confidential, privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem or lack a sense of humor. If you are not one of the intended audience , then any dissemination, distribution or copying of this post is not authorized (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas. Unless the word absquatulation has been used in its correct context somewhere other than in this warning, it does not have any legal or grammatical use and may be ignored. No Schilkes were harmed in the transmission of this post. Those of you with an overwhelming fear of the unknown will be gratified to learn that there is no hidden message revealed by reading this disclaimer backwards. However, by pouring a complete circle of salt around yourself and your computer you can ensure that no harm befalls you and your trumpet. If you have read this post in error then please add some nutmeg in egg whites and place them in a warm oven for 40 minutes. Whisk briefly and let it stand for two hours before icing.

5. hose

hose Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2003
    Orlando FL
    Mild soap and water is best . As posted above, gold is softer than silver and will wear faster. The less you rub it the better. I was told by a renowned trpt maker to use Glass Wax. I have used it and it works well for those stuborn blemishes. Glass Wax is also out of production, but some stores still might have it on their shelves.