Caring for slides ???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by codyb226, Apr 23, 2012.

1. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Hi everyone,

I was giving my horn a bath on Friday and I wanted to make my slides look like new. But as much as I scrubbed I could not make them clean. I have a few blotches of stuff here and there on my 3rd, 1st, and main slides. I noticed they are all raw brass, so is there a cleaning agent that I can use to make them look new again? This is not a problem with movement, my 1st and 3rd are really fast and my main has some think slide grease so it is movable any way but will not move unless I do it.

I was going to PM jiarby about this, I have seen him make slides like mine look brand new for a horn he sold. But I wanted everyones opinion. Am I just being to nice? Should I scrub with some dawn and a washcloth harder?

Many thanks everyone!

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    No Cody... It's hopeless... The only thing to do is buy that Olds Recording and put the Yamaha out to pasture... OR mail me the Yami.. I will make sure it is ethically euthanized.

3. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Is it that bad Doc?? I hope it wouldnt come to this, I guess I will have to look for another Yamaha....Or, I mean Recording.

4. phittle

phittle Pianissimo User

May 9, 2008
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Be careful and don't get too ambitious with cleaning slides. My tech guy warned me years ago that slides were never intended to look "shiny"...using harsh chemicals actually can remove the brass to the point of the slide starting to leak. He added that this is NOT HARD to do.... Let the slide acquire its natural patina...and wipe them down and keep them greased.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Use a Blitz "Valve & Slide" cleaning cloth. It gets all the crud off and removes no metal. It will set you back about 4-5 bucks. I am surprised more trumpet guys don't know about these things (Blitz cloths). Simply amazing product and no harsh chemicals. I can make any slide look factory new in a matter of minutes.

Blitz Valve and Slide Cleaning Cloth | Sam Ash Music 1-800-4-SAMASH

6. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I know they are not suppose to look shiny, but I want them too. I like a raw brass horn, as long as there is no patina. Patina just makes it look dirty IMO. I want mine to be clean and purdy!

7. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    That looks interesting. I have heard of stuff like Brass-O or something like it. Some kind of polish, would that work in this situation too?

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My young Padowon, use the cloth! :D

9. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Oh, okay. I guess that idea was shot down, fast too. I will look into the cloth. Is there a slide grease that will do the same?

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    AND I learned the hard way, not to use "too good of grease" on the valve slides. I started using Ultra Pure valve grease, on two different horns, and after using I had shot the second valve slide on one, and the third valve slide on the other across the room. I have switched back to patrolium jelly for the valve slides. Still use the Ultra Pure for the tuning slides and those slides with triggers.