Carl Fischer Cornet

Discussion in 'Horns' started by diego, Feb 9, 2012.

Tags:
  1. diego

diego New Friend

Jan 25, 2012
    Hi all.
    I just got this cornet and don't know much about it. It has a Carl Fischer (Boston, Mass) engraving on the bell and nothing more.
    I had never played a cornet before and I just loved it!
    How much do you think is the value of it? I didn't pay for it yet. Is it a good horn? I like it :)
    The serial number is 158727
    Here are some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    It is definitely a stencil. Fischer stopped making/importing horns in 1923. Then they bought York Instruments. This looks pretty modern so I would guess it's made by York. It might be a variation of the Senator by York, but yours has no 3rd slide spit valve! So... Oldlou may be of some assistance

3. diego

diego New Friend

Jan 25, 2012
    Hum. Looking at horn-u-copia for York cornets, it seems very similar to this one. But that page says it's a custom model, it doesn't help.

4. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    The York Custom cornet was either manufactured by the Carl Fischer sub line of York or Blessing, both companies owned at that time by C.F.. In either case it was a more than decent little horn. If the price is to your liking and financial ability, buy it.

OLDLOU>>

5. diego

diego New Friend

Jan 25, 2012
    Yes, it looks very similar to the blessing cornets on horn-u-copia. If it follows the blessing serial number, it's a 1968 cornet. Actually it doesn't matter, I like the horn and I'll keep it. Just want to know more about it :)
    I'll trade it on my conn director that I can't play :)
    Two birds with one stone (rabbits here in Brazil :)
    Thank you all!

6. soundphury

soundphury Pianissimo User

Mar 17, 2014
    Came across this one recently:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A little confused about the whole Fischer/York connection in terms of where I can look for serial# dating.
    This serial is P11XXX and looks fairly old. Prior to Fischer's involvement with York?
    Or, were all Fischers stencils and therefore we'll never know...?

Thoughts?

7. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    The serial and design both point to a Pan American stencil (Pan Am being a division of Conn, making horns often using older Conn designs)

8. soundphury

Mar 17, 2014
    Thanks, CDF.

So...if I'm reading the Hornucopia site correctly, it looks like this can be dated as a 1919 horn as that was around the time Conn began using the "P" prefix for these horns.

9. soundphury

Mar 17, 2014
    Anyone care to educate a sax player as to why there appear to be two tuning slide adjustments on this horn?

10. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I'd guess the lower one is the main tuning slide, and the upper one is the one you pull out to play in the key of A.