Carmex before playing.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rettepnoj, Aug 23, 2012.

1. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    I played with the lead trumpeter from the Norwegian "Dancing with the Stars" tonight, and she can't play without using Carmex. She also use it a lot during the concert! I lose all my vibrations and can't make a single tone with that stuff on my lips. Any of you using Carmex or such before playing?

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I use it only as a warm down (on rare occasions). I've known some tuba players who really smear a bunch on before they play.

3. chaser2013

chaser2013 New Friend

Feb 6, 2009
    Kearney, Nebraska
    I use chapstick before and sometimes during concerts. Mostly because I actually have dry lips, not specifically to help play. I haven't really noticed much of a difference, except that it kind of warms up my mouthpiece.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I use Carmex during the day (for UV protection and to keep my lips in good shape) -- I don't use it at all during playing!!

5. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Nah. Only if I have chapped lips.

6. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    I am a carmex junkie.... when playing I apply it, then wipe it off, leaving a "dry" coat.
    I mix mine 50-50 with burts bees. It is a little waxier, but still carmexy.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Like in Chris Botti's said in an interview when asked if he uses chap stick... nothing comes between my lips and my trumpet (except for maybe a beautiful blonde flute player). A' natural lip balm is my motto.

8. bachfella

bachfella Mezzo Piano User

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    Never use the stuff. The main brass prof at my college used to give tubes of something called Lip Ade to all of us brass players, but I quickly stopped using it. Nothing against the professor--he was a great player and teacher, and a very nice man, but I just don't see the need to put something like that on my lips before I play.
    I do wet my lips, however.

I should add that the turning point for me concerning using the Lip Ade was when a trombone player I'd known and respected since high school said, "That stuff (my word--he used one with 4 letters) will only soften your lips to the point where you need it!!" In other words, to the point where I couldn't get along without using it. I believe my trombone-playing friend is right.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Natural lip balm, this is what I use. It's really cheap at my local store and has hemp as an active ingredient. It's great stuff, I use it at the end of each practice session and the end of the day. If I've overdone it, it stings ever so slightly, letting me know it's repairing something. I don't use it when I'm playing.

Turtle

10. Conn-solation

Conn-solation Pianissimo User

Jan 22, 2011
    On my way to Bearberry Ab
    I use Lipsyl or Chapstick especially during our dry winter weather and use it sometimes during practices, rehersals and concerts. I do find it helps when my mouth gets dry after a long play session.