Carmex? Carmax? What?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetsAreFun, Aug 28, 2005.

1. TrumpetsAreFun

TrumpetsAreFun Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2005
    California
    In my Band Camp one of my instructors said something about applying Carmex or Carmax I dunno.. to your lips to help it... I have no idea what that is... what does it do?

2. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Pianissimo User

It's a lip balm..

Carmex

Another alternative is to use ChopSaver, for musicians with lips!! (as it says on the tube.. :D

ChopSaver

3. gjharo

gjharo New Friend

Aug 17, 2005
    Houston, TX
    TrumpetsAreFun -

I would be very careful with any type of product that is used on the lips. Most products that I know of, numb the lips, thus you feel like you can play longer, while unknowingly damaging your lips further. The best solution to healthy chops is rest and if need be take an advil (make sure you aren't allergic!!).

GH

4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit

Ahhhhh....drugs!
    An Advil will mask the symptons and also make you think there is no pain when in fact there is, just diminished by the Advil.

A product like Chopsaver is much better.

A strictly herbal remedy that is very very good would be Nature's Way B F & C. An oitment and herbal cream.
    It contains;
    Olive oil
    Wheat germ oil
    Beeswax
    Honey
    Comfrey root
    White oak bark
    Mullein leaves
    Black Walnut leaves
    Marshmallow root
    Wormwood
    Gravel root
    Scullcap and Lobelia

-cw-

5. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    NO Carmex - contains camphor

or anything else that claims to treat cold sores and the like. In the long run they actually cause more dryness and your lips become dependent on the stuff. Balms made with natural ingredients only are your best bet. I have been using Burt's Bees since its conception. The base is beeswax and the strong peppermint cools the lips when applied. There is also Badger lip balms. I have a few tins stashed here and there as well.

6. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I just realized that if you are attending a band camp that you might be outside a lot right now. If sunscreen is your concern, then get the Chapstick (or anything else) with SPF. I personally can't stand the taste of anything with sunscreen in it. Patooowwweeeee. :-P

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    You could use Carmex, but I have never cared for how waxy and greasy it is due to fact that it is heavily petroleum based.

My personal favorite (and yes, I have used Chopsaver) is still Blistex in a tube. Chopsaver is the best of the stick lip balms that I have used, but it too is a bit too waxy for me.

8. sublmbadfish

sublmbadfish Pianissimo User

Jul 9, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    I've heard that the camphor in carmex is bad for your chops...i use blistex DCT after a long day of playing. It numbs the lips a little and helps keep swelling down.

9. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I agree... Carmex is contains more medicine than regular lip balm. Carmex would be better if your lips are already chapped, because the medicine inside it is to help chapped lips. However I wouldn't recomend it if your lips are fine but you just want some protection, it would be like takeing Advil if you are feeling fine, you just want to protect yourself for a few hours later. It goes back to that old saying "if it's not broke, don't fix it." So basicaly, "if your lips arnt chapped, don't put 'anti-chap' medicine on them."

The staff at my school suggest Blistex with 10 or 15 spf. It has everything in it that Carmex has, except the extra medicine. But personaly I still like ChopSaver the best.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Use ChopSaver!