Carnival of Venice for College Audition.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Passion, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Passion

Passion Pianissimo User

Jun 11, 2009
    I'm auditioning now for scholarships and all, and I'm doing Carnival of Venice.

I gotta do lyrical and technical. I can double tongue well at fast speeds, but triple tongue is poor so I aint doing variation II. The variation for lyrical of course is Introduction.

Then for technical, which would impress the auditioners most, variation III, or IV? I find IV easier than III, but I've really been working at variation III and it sounds smooth and alright. But what's the best choice here that shows off my skill best assuming I play them well?

Edit: I'm talking about the song in Arban book just to make things clear.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  2. Passion

Passion Pianissimo User

Jun 11, 2009
    But I should add I can only do variation III at 150 bpm, and still make few mistake if im not careful. IV is just alot easier for me.

3. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Well I did Clarke's version, are you doing Arban? I was always taught to do the whole thing, but If I was in your case, id work up what I reall want to play, then work on the other one that would add to it

4. Passion

Passion Pianissimo User

Jun 11, 2009
    I really wanna play Var IV rather than III, so that's what ill do unless anyone suggests otherwise. All the best people audition this time for scholarships, so I really need to know which is the best to impress out of III or IV.

Heck, no way ill do the whole song, with all the variations for my audition.

1) I already mentioned about my pitiful triple tonguing.

2) With only 11 days left to first audition, I dont have the time to learn the whole darn song and play it well at a fast pace.

All I wanna do is a lyrical and technical variation of a song. I didn't even know I had an audition in 11 days until today. My Mom is the one who scheduled all this, and I was sure she said my audition was on the 27th rather than 13th for college visit, but I assumed wrong. She scheduled most of them this month because it's the only time I can audition for scholarships.

Just about most all the other trumpet players I know are auditioning on Haydn or Hummeml concertos. My teacher told me to go outside the box, so he suggested me to do Venice. It's a real beneficial song improving many technical and lyrical skills from playing it. I've always loved the song since I heard Wynton Marsalis play it on Youtube this summer. I had no idea how to double, triple, stacatto properly, or slur well at the time, so I thought it was an impossible song. My goal was to learn it though, and through lessons I've really improved, and from time to time I try this song as a test.

5. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    If you're only 11 days out of an audition and you don't know what you're playing I would suspect that you're not going to do very well.

The "best" that you refer to have likely spent many weeks preparing their piece and have it down cold by now.

Don't concentrate about be different, out of the box, or exciting.

Play the piece/movement that you play the best..flawlessly...

6. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    It doesn't matter what variation you play, as long as you play it really well. For an audition in 11 days, I would play something that I aleady could play at a really high level (but just need to brush up), and not something that needed a lot of work. If you can really sound great on a variation from the Carnival, go for it, but if you have something else that's appropriate already worked up, consider that. Either way, remember that speed and degree of difficulty and not as important as time, intonation, phrasing, accuracy, sound, etc.