Carnival of Venice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by butxifxnot, Jul 12, 2005.

1. butxifxnot

butxifxnot Pianissimo User

Jul 10, 2004
    Here...
    I'm sure pretty much everyone here has encountered Carnival of Veniece (Venus??) arranged by someone or another at some point in their trumpet playing life (I have three times already, and I'm not that old a trumpet player, myself). Is it Carnival of Venice? Or Venus? I have only seen music with Venice but I have heard it elsewhere as Venus and here people have referred to it as Venus. What's up with that? It's the same music.

Also, if anyone has seen the Clarke version of it, what do y'all think of it? Of all the solos selectable for Solo/Ensemble at this HS, the Clarke is (it looks) the most challenging, but I don't think I like the way it sounds. Anyone relate/disagree?

2. Bugler997

Bugler997 Pianissimo User

Mar 22, 2005
    VA
    From what I can tell, Carnival of Venice is a traditional song, while Carnival of Venus is a more modern piece, performed by Allen Vizutti; I've never heard the Venus one, though.

Do you not like the Clarke piece because of how it looks, or SOUNDS?

I've sometimes seen pieces, then heard them, and all of a suddden I like them, even though I didn't at first.

Only arrangement I've (and still am) dealt with is Arban's "Fantasy and Variations on the Carnival of Venice," which is ridiculously hard for anyone.

3. brassmouth

brassmouth New Friend

Jul 10, 2005
    New Jersey
    I've had the pleasure of hearing Wynton Marsalis DOMINATE Carnival of Venice.He does it better then anyone else i've heard.

4. butxifxnot

butxifxnot Pianissimo User

Jul 10, 2004
    Here...
    Same theme, but different name?
    Sounds. I can play it even faster than up to tempo, and it's just too frantic, in my opinion. I like expression in spread out slow sections.
    :-) Not too ridiculously hard, compared with other pieces in the book. I like this one better than Clarke's.

5. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Clarke's Carnival is a bit more demanding than Arban's range-wise, but Arban's Carnival of Venice requires more control of the register, especially the last variation (Which I still cannot do well, lol).

All of Clarke's solos are meant for showing off, and generally take the player to a double F (He was fond of that note).

After hearing Jules Levy's version of Carnival of Venice, however, all other C.o.V.'s pale in comparison. Mr. Levy's arrangement is perfect. Its also insanely difficult; requiring the player to triple tongue throughought the upper register, as well as do octave slurs at a blazingly fast pace, to create the impression of two trumpets playing at the same time! It also goes pretty far up the register. I can die happy when I finally become decent enough to tackle this piece.

Van

6. RichN

RichN Pianissimo User

Sep 25, 2004
    UK (Mids)
    How does he do that?

My teacher played me Carnival of Venus (the Vizzutti take on Carnival of Venice) a couple of months ago whilst he was sorting out some music for me. He told me Vizzutti had renamed it as a joke because people had said the way he played it he must be from a different planet! No idea if it's fact or fiction, but it's a neat story.

Rich.

edit: just to clarify, he was playing it on his CD player, not his trumpet!

7. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    trumpetstuff.com

Go to this site click on Allen's name on the left they have excerpts of his C of Venus you can listen to if you have realyplayer...some cool video stuff too over all pretty cool site...enjoy ;-) Link on next post..... :roll:

8. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
  9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Speaking of Clarke solos, I don't mean to derail the thread, but does anyone have any experience with "The Debutante"? If not for the tempo that it is supposed to be played at, I don't think it would be too terribly difficult, but there are some passages that are pretty rough when dealing with the tempo where it should be performed.

10. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    Not only do I own the CD and the sheet music for Carnival of Venus, I have heard Allen Vizzutti play it live :shock:
    (the joy of ITG 2004)

It is ludicrously silly.

But he can do that sort of thing. Not necessarily the most beautiful piece in the world (even the slow sections are difficult), but one heck of a showpiece.

My students have challenged me to be able to play this piece :lol:
    My response has varied from "get stuffed" to "I will when you can," depending which student said it. Unfortunately, one of them has taken this as a straight challenge - and he has got a copy of the music. I reckon I am safe for a few years, but if he continues to improve like he has been recently, I might have to do some work in the next year or two.