Carnival of Venice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by butxifxnot, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Bugler997

Bugler997 Pianissimo User

Mar 22, 2005
    VA
    I've never tried "the Debutante," but my least favorite part would be just playing the high F, piano and in a melodic fashion of course.

But then again, my high range bites.

2. Rgale

Rgale Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2005
    I have just played the Clarke "Carnival of Venice " and the Mendez "Virgen de la Macarena" with a band here in Seattle three times. . I find them both challenging, but playable. But, I will never be able to match Mendez in speed. The Clarke is quite challenging, but if you keep your concentration , it is playable. The Arban is more diffucult for me, that last variation anyway.
    I've also done "Sounds from the Hudson" and Fantiasie Brilliante. But as for playing the Vizzutti Carnival- no way! Just that first arpeggio where he triple tongues up to double c- and double tonguing in octaves and then in two octaves- good grief! He calls it "Carnival of Venus" because people kept coming up to him and saying," you must be from another planet to play that." I have to second that!

I have read that Clarke played all the 1st Cornet parts in Sousa's band, and those diffucult solos in addition to that. And- they often played three concerts a day! Iron Chops!

3. rage.68.fr

rage.68.fr New Friend

Jun 28, 2005
    Colmar - France
    Hello Everybody!

For a Great version of "Carnival Of Venice"
    Look at www.trumpetstuff.com
    the Page of Sergei Nakariakov

AMAZING!!!!

4. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    Rage, Very true. I have watched that clip quite a number of times and everytime I see it I am amazed at how effortless he makes it look.

5. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    Cripes I just watched the Cadenza video clip of Sergei and that is something else!!! :-o

6. Mr. Stomvi

Mr. Stomvi Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2003
    Patrick - I have found the double tongueing/fingering coordination in the 10th and 14th (especially the 10th) measures can be a problem when played up to full Marsalis tempo. Other than that - it is pretty strait forward. Also the interval slurs in the "Brilliante" section usually need some polish to get them smooth.

Seth Moore

7. Mr. Stomvi

Mr. Stomvi Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2003
    I've performed the "Clarke", "Staiger's" and "Arban" versions of "Carnival" quite a few times now and can tell ya that the Arban version is way, way tougher than the others.

What I think makes the Arban's version tougher is that it requires a mastery of a wider variety of skill sets than in the other versions. For instance - the Arban's version requires

1. Strait double tongueing in the third line of variation 1.

2. Quick mixed double tongueing in line 10 of variation 1 (slur two - tongue two)

3. Strait single note triple tongueing in line 1, 2 etc. in variation 2

4. Running triplet triple tongueing in lines 4, 6 on in variation 2

5. More mixed pattern double tongueing in second half of variation 3 (slur 2 - tongue 2)

6. And finally punching out the intervals in variation 4 and finishing with the double tongueing at the end.

Those are a lot of high speed technical skills that will take most advanced students quite a bit of time to fully master.

8. butxifxnot

butxifxnot Pianissimo User

Jul 10, 2004
    Here...
    :D Just the main theme and himself playing the Finale for Arban's version. He does it very well. Woo!

9. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    I've only worked Arban's version. I actually have a recording of Maurice Andre playing it. Wow. It's not as flashy as Wynton or Vizzutti, but still....incredible.

I too got to hear Vizzutti play "Venus" live at last year's ITG conference. Holy freakin' cow. I always thought that he changed some of the octave jumps in the piece, as there were parts that sounded like they were somewhat different, yet very similar to Venice. He is just an excellent musician, and probably one of the handful who will ever play that piece with such virtuousity.

10. butxifxnot

butxifxnot Pianissimo User

Jul 10, 2004
    Here...
    But it's worth it. I like the way it sounds and the feel of the different sections much more in Arban's Carnival (esp the triple-tonguing section. :-))

Does anyone here like Clarke's Carnival? I mean the way it sounds. The last page is fun, but as a whole...well, I'll let y'all respond.