Carnival of Venice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by butxifxnot, Jul 12, 2005.

1. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

If you had the pleasure to hear Jim Underwood play the Clarke version you would be amazed and love it. Jim is the best cornet soloist I have ever heard, live or Memorex.

2. Josh

Josh New Friend

Sep 28, 2009
    Sonora, CA
    The Clarke one is one of the easiest (besides the F) if you can already play the first variation of the original Arban- the Clarke doesn't have any of the fast double-tonguing and has no triple tonguing at all. The finale is much easier, too, since it has no annoying more-than-an-octave-jumps-in-the-lower-register. You can actually play the Clarke finale with only one finger for a gimmick (up until the end, at least).

3. JediYoda

JediYoda Mezzo Piano User

Sep 25, 2010
    State of Confusion
    I am a huge fan of Wynton.....but Maurice Andre owns this piece...
    YouTube - Maurice André - Carnaval of Venice (Arban)

4. Mr. Stomvi

Mr. Stomvi Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2003
    You might also want to get ahold of Guy Touvron's (Andre student) "Carnival in Venice" CD released on RCA red seal 09026-61815-2 if you can find it. It has a really great version and he performs it up a 4th so I'm guessing he did it on an F picc.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Maurice André owns Hora Legato. He demonstrates an incredible command of the cornet here - but does everything really have to be duh-guh-du-guh though?

I think not. Each version out there from the world class offers something unique - the players personalities. That is why NO ONE can ever "OWN" a piece. Hakan Hardenberger made an excellent recording of this - when he was 16.