Carnival of Venice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Playa, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Trumpet Playa

Trumpet Playa New Friend

Aug 4, 2010
    I'm doing this song for my college audition. Love this song!

We're supposed to pick any song or any etude to play. We have to pick a lyrical and technical piece to play. I choose two variations from Arban's Carnival of Venice.

For lyrical I choose the first variation duh. For technical piece Im not sure what to do and need you peoples advice. I can play all of them well except Var I is sloppy cause I never practiced it. Its not out of my capabilities and if I practiced Ill be able to play it. I have a month and a half till audition anyways.

Which variation is most technically impressive for an audition judge to hear a college freshman play? Ill admit, I used to play Var IV in band this previous school year during high school to impress people cause my band mates like fast stuff. At first I played it for fun, but people kept asking me to play it and my band director said I played it really well.

I can triple tongue well and do variation II good. I can also do variation III good and the judges at my audition to get into this music program said it was very impressive and one that most people struggle on.

So considering I play these variations good at audition, which is technically more impressive to see a freshman audition on. Variation IV, III, or II?

Personally, I love Variation IV cause its fast and cool. But I need good advice.

(I dont have a lessons teacher to ask at the moment. He was unreliable and so hard just to get a gosh darn lesson with him. So basically I'm through with trying. I'm getting lessons as soon as I start college again with my trumpet professor so its all good.)

Also, is it a plus if I play these variations by memory? I already pretty much remember them?

And if they ask me to play a two octave scale, would it be out of line if I suggested 3 octaves on G chromatic scale? I wanna show my range and make a good impression. I can play that really high G fine all of a sudden.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Re: Audition advice please!

"Impressing" means something different to the jury. You succeed by giving them a picture of how you will work in whatever you are auditioning for. Turn the metronome on. If you can "impress" it, then you may have a chance with the harder variations. Precision and you knowing the limits of your own playing are bigger factors. I prefer players that knock my socks off with musical rendition rather than technical studies. The intro and melody of the Carnaval tell me all that I need to know. If someone came in with variation 4, I would probably ask them to play the intro and melody for me first. Then I know if they understand what this piece is even about.

I don't know of many auditions where any of these things would be useful.

3. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006

Rowuk- he didn't mention it in this post, but I think he said in a different post that he will be playing the intro. He has to play one melodic passage and one technical passage.

4. Trumpet Playa

Trumpet Playa New Friend

Aug 4, 2010

I have turned on the metronome and practiced for precision. I now memorize all of these variations too cause I practiced so much. I started at slow tempo and worked my way up so I can play these variations fast and with precision. It wasn't easy.

And for my audition we have to play a lyrical piece and technical piece. To show my lyric skills I choose the intro variation of Carnival of Venice. For technical I might choose the IV variation. Its not out of my limits and my band directors and lessons teacher told me I play it very well. Is it a good choice over variation II and III though?

5. Ric232

Ric232 Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2009
    Coastal GA
    If you really want to impress them, play a couple of variations from the Del Staigers version of Carnival of Venice.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think it is counterproductive to show off. It is just proof that you do not do what you are told and that is dangerous in any musical organization. Most ensembles that I play with do not tolerate this type of behaviour. Show offs are musical liabilities, not assets!

Auditions are won by giving the jury what THEY want to hear (generally a VERY musical rendition) - not what some immature showoff thinks is important.

If you want to demonstrate range, then pick an audition piece where there are some high notes. The first movement of the Telemann Concerto in D is VERY good for that. (hehe)

This performance would win most auditions.
    YouTube - ‪Telemann Concerto on Baroque Trumpet www.natemayfield.com‬‎

7. lakerjazz

Oct 10, 2006
    Is that guy playing some sort of keyed (holed) baroque trumpet?

8. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
  9. lakerjazz

Oct 10, 2006
    Oh pretty cool