Carol Brass / Harrelson Valve Blocks

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gzent, Mar 25, 2011.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    The horns in question were basically fine-tuned, tweaked out and tweakable Bach Strads when looked at from a design standpoint. Visually I didn't think they were much to look at - almost like any other Bach Strad. They did play nicely though - whether they could be used for everything....

I used to believe that until you went to a really customized setup, that trumpets were more similar than different. My experience at the NTC last weekend, where I got to play pretty much anything I had been wanting to try (and a few things I'd never even heard of) has given me a new perspective because there were some horns that I would never use for a quintet gig, just as there were other horns that I'd never play in a party band or big band situation. What I didn't realize was just how different two seemingly similar trumpets could sound - even trumpets in the "mainstream" range, and sticker price didn't seem to have much effect on what played well for me and what didn't.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Or at ANYTHING that you happen to be doing now. Also don't assume that an expensive horn is not worth it just because the current playing situation does not benefit from it.

3. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I've always looked at horns kinda like shoes - one size does not fit all.

Never could grasp the "gotta play a Strad" attitude.

4. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I'm just an average player but I have noticed that the difference between two horns that play very well but are miles apart in price are minute but sometimes that small difference makes playing just a bit easier and well worth it if you do a lot of playing. I have also noticed the same thing that rowuk noticed - in my practice room or in a band room the sound difference can't be detected but play the same two horns in a large church or hall then the difference can be heard. Its all in what you need and what you can afford.

5. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    +1

6. Zachary

Zachary New Friend

Sep 15, 2010
    I'm considering getting one of Harrelson's trim kits, though CarolBrass isn't in the list of models on the order page -- it sounds like I could just select 'Harrelson' and the caps will fit a new CTR-400CR?

Thanks,

Zach

7. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Yep. The ones that are interchangeable are '6'.

Or you could just order heavy caps from Don at CMS:
    Home

I'm pretty sure they'll be a lot more affordable than Harreslon caps and work
    just as well - a piece of brass is just a piece of brass.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  8. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ordering heavy caps from a dealer is very affordable. Let me know if I can help.