Carol Burnett Show???

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by MPM, Feb 8, 2004.

1. MPM

MPM Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    I know this topic has been here however I am unable to locate it. For the sake of saving time does anyone recal who was "the lead trumpet player" on the show, the guy who recorded the taped theme that was played at the begining and the end of the show as the credits roled?

Thanks for your help.

MPM

2. timcates

timcates Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2004
    Texas - USA
    Larry Gianni could give you the definite word, but i always heard that it was Warren Lunning (and even now I can hear the theme in my mind and the great lead trumpet sound.... a cool sound influence from my youth)

3. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    John Audino. Warren was very young then, starting the Lawrence Welk Show.

4. MPM

MPM Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Hi Dave,

I know from a few very good friends & LA guys, that Warren was the designated Lead Trpt player on the Carol Burnett show, are you sure it was Audino who was the "recorded" player on the taped version that played while the credits were rolling? Not doubting, just want to get this exactly right.

Thanks,

MPM

5. Liberty Lips

Liberty Lips Pianissimo User

Dec 7, 2003
    The Burnett show ran for a long time - nearly ten years, I think. John Audino started out on lead, and was replaced by Pete Candoli after Audino quit. The rest of the section was Jimmy Zito, Bud Brisbois, and Don Fagerquist, with Cat Anderson subbing for Brisbois when he wasn't available. The personnel changed throughout the time that Peter Matz ran the show, and Warren Luening and Jack Laubach were there for at least some of the time.

6. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    I think Audino left when the Tonight Show went west, Doc got him on the show. Warren was real young then, don't think he's 60 yet. Still a young cat! Listen to him play!!!

7. MPM

MPM Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    I have done a little question asking "away" from this forum. Hearing back both directly & indirectly from guys that played the show.

John Audino was not a trumpet player on the show. Unless it was as an infrequent sub. he didn't play the show.

On one run, it was Warren Leuning, Tony Terran, Chuck Findley and sometimes John Bello. The section was at times augmented.

The regulars during another LA run was Warren Leuning, Tony Terran, Jack Lubach (sp). A three man section. But as I said, sometimes the gig was subbed out, ... so ...

Warren Leuning was the designated lead trumpet player!

Glad to have found out. It's always nice to know who it is you are listening to & admiring.

8. JohnL

JohnL Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2004
    NJ/NYC METRO
    Carol Burnett Show

When the show was in New York, John Bello was the lead trumpet player who played the theme live.

9. MPM

MPM Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Interesting!

I know John. He told me he couldn't recal who was playing lead on the recorded play back when he was doing the show. They passed parts around alot. John does have quite an impressive reume from years past! Very nice man ... still a powerful player!

Thanks for your input. I'll have to give John a call tomorrow. He'll enjoy that people are talking favorably about his work.