CarolBrass CTR-700L-YSS-SL

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JoshRowell19, Oct 5, 2013.

1. JoshRowell19

JoshRowell19 New Friend

Jun 29, 2012
    What do you guys think about this horn? I am thinking about purchasing one.

2. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    More importantly--what do you think of it? I might love it, but that doesn't mean you will. It CarolBrass a good brand--seems to be, but you really want to know how it plays--and only you can answer that. Millions of people love Yamaha horns, I've never played one I like. The only Bach Bb I've ever liked it the MLV I have owned since 1969. Do yourself a favor--find one, play it and decide if it's worth spending your money on.

3. JoshRowell19

JoshRowell19 New Friend

Jun 29, 2012
    I just wanted some details about it in general since I have a two hour drive to go try one out

4. tjcombo

tjcombo Mezzo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hi Josh, First, I strongly endorse the comments above about trying for yourself. I have an early model of this horn that I bought from my brother. He bought it whilst working in China from an Taiwanese orchestral player. I'm very happy with it and it shares regular player status with an Olds Super. I believe that this model comes in a light and heavyweight variant. Mine is the heavy one. They come with both round and D-shaped tuning slides which make quite a difference. At first I preferred the brighter sound with the D slide, but I've since swapped back to the round one. The horns also come with heavy and light valve caps and buttons. The slotting with the heavy bits was a bit tight for me, and it feels better with the light parts - a matter a personal preference. There is a link to the sort of noise it makes for me below.

I test-drove several horns on Friday including a Carol 5000 and a heavyweight 5060. They are nice horns too and both very different to the Legend (7000). When I got home I immediately tried both my Carol and Super with the same mouthpiece that I used for the testing and was pleased that I liked my own horns better that anything else I'd played that day (including a Schagerl James Morrison as well as a Strad 180S37 for a benchmark).

I know from your post that it's two hours to your shop, but it might be a good idea to play a few horns then go home and think about your decision. It's very easy to pick up a new horn and be impressed in isolation. At least try to test a few instruments.

Here's a pic of mine. The waterkeys on current models are at 90degrees to mine. That's why I think this is an early model.
    [​IMG]

This tune has a burst of the horn at 1:20. This is the first cut and my son has put a little reverb on the horn, but everything else is still a bit rough.
    https://soundcloud.com/tjcombo-1/luxury-i-can-afford-1

Good luck

5. gbshelbymi

gbshelbymi Mezzo Piano User

Jan 3, 2013
    Travelers Rest, SC
    Make the drive. Play them first.