carrer dream

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bottoms94, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Bottoms94

Bottoms94 New Friend

Dec 14, 2009
    Chesterfield Va.
    good musical colleges?

Alright so im in the 10th grade and i really want to master in music and be a professional musician:play:. Anyone got any good colleges i should look into for it.:thumbsup:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  2. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
  3. Phil

Phil Pianissimo User

Jun 7, 2009
    Cookeville
    Be sure when looking at schools for music you look to see how the studio professor is. Find the schools you are interested in and arrange for a lesson or two from that trumpet professor. The key is to find one you like and know can take your far. Good luck!

4. progmac

progmac Pianissimo User

Jan 9, 2009
    Go for it. Work hard and practice right and you will achieve a lot. Claude Gordon wrote that there is plenty of room at the top, so don't let anyone hold you back.

5. aptrpt12

aptrpt12 New Friend

Dec 14, 2009
    Boston/Providence
    I would agree with everything dhbaily has suggested. I would suggest in your sophomore/junior summer vacation that you attend that college you are thinking of...its summer youth program. Most times their trumpet teacher teaches the summer session. You can get a lot of valuable information from that person. What to audition on! You can get to know that person a little so when the audition comes they remember you, they can gauge how much you have improved (this is an important aspect they take into consideration) as well as it will reduce the amount of nerves you will be dealing with. You will get a feeling about the school and know if its the place for you the next four years. In HS I attended the Julliard program, then went on to Hartt, which I loved. My Masters was at Eastman and I would not attend there again.
    Selection has to fit your needs...you did not mention if you just want to play professionally or be in education...that would be a major factor for you to consider. Jazz and classical will help you rule some of the schools out. For 35 years I have sent students to many different schools across the country. You would need to further define what you like and don't like, and what you want to get out of the school before I could give you a further listing.
    To give you an example: low grades, but a very good player, and thinking of professional classic/jazz and education...check out Onandaga Community College in NY. One of the best community college music programs going, with a direct line to Fredonia, and Potsdam.
    Many other great places: Ann Arbor, Michigan, Bloomington, Indiana, Un. of Miami, Texas A& M, along with some of the others that have already been mentioned. Making a living in the Arts in New England right now is difficult, you really have to be one of the best...so don't waste time, practice. Every minute you don't someone else is, and they are getting ahead of you. It is a rewarding career for those that can do it. Good luck!

6. Bourbon City

Bourbon City Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2004
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Great for you my friend. And, Go for your dream. It is a good one, but a rough one.

It is as demanding as any Medical, Law or Endineering Degree so will need to study when others won't want to. I have BS Degrees in both Music and Engineering so I do know about these things. Do not party too much now and through College. Your Practice Room at your School should me more familier than your Dorm Room. I spent many more hours on my Music Degree and the Engineering Degree.

Just remember that later your party days will be spend "working" at Gigs your other Friends are paying to see and hear you do your thing. Cool Huh?

Working at what you love is never "work".

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  7. Bottoms94

Bottoms94 New Friend

Dec 14, 2009
    Chesterfield Va.
    Well first this summer, well in january i have an audition for a summer governal school for fine arts and other things so thatll help me alot if i get in. Also im in all honors even band and i really want to master in jazz and everything in between to classical to be a proformer and i want to get and education in musicso that if i cant be a proformer i can atleast be a teacher. So i guess i want the full package of everything, which i know will take a long time.

8. Bourbon City

Bourbon City Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2004
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Bottoms94! The first thing I can point if I may is details. Spelling and Grammer is of importance. I know your typing may be getting in the way, it does for me too, and I am 60 years old. You are like my Granddaughter, so I am pointing this out to you and not being mean to you. I want you to do well and spelling, english and grammer are very important.

Good Wishes to you my Friend. Keep going with your Dream!!!

9. y-o-y

y-o-y Pianissimo User

Sep 25, 2009
    Long Beach, CA
    Well, for you, music certainly seems like a better choice then English.

10. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    better choice THAN English

[​IMG]