Cars Suck

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by LaTrompeta, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Actually Trabant is worse

2. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Well at least the Trabi starred in its own movie!
    ...and has a dedicated computer/video game too.

--bumblebee

3. pss

pss Mezzo Piano User

Jun 14, 2016
    Luxembourg
    The "high-rpm whine of the engine" is due to the CVT (continuously variable transmission) that Toyota uses on their hybrid cars - it's part of their gas-saving setup, but annoying as hell because engine noise is completely unrelated to gas pedal input - the transmission just looks for the better spot (rpm wise) to get the ICE power needed at the time. Also the main reason why I don't even consider buying one, although it would be the right car for me (= very short daily commutes, most of my long distance traveling is by plane now). The new 2 liter Corolla (not the 1.8) seems (on paper) to be a bit better, but I'm still not convinced.

Btw, I once owned a banger Saab 900 with 250k (kms) - those engines were supposed to be good for a lot more, but I ditched it when other things started to brake.

4. BigDub

BigDub Utimate User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    How far...........would you go................for a Yugo?
    If you did, you weren’t going to go very far afterwards.

5. BigDub

BigDub Utimate User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    A friend of mine has at least 5 Saabs in his driveway. Now there is a fan. They have their good points, I am told. By him. When I asked.

6. pss

pss Mezzo Piano User

Jun 14, 2016
    Luxembourg
    The old Saab 2 liter engine was remarkable (based on a Triumph block) - anything post-GM is not so good...

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Well, almost all cars used to have good points, as well as condensers. I kinda miss being able to tune one up with a file and a matchbook.

BigDub and LaTrompeta like this.
  8. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Was Colorado...now Utah
    Cars are fun...when they work right. The rest of the time they are a pain in your butt and you wish you lived in Tokyo and rode the train :)

Dennis78 likes this.
  9. BigDub

BigDub Utimate User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I was convinced, at an earlier time in my life, that my car ( whichever I happened to be driving at the time) had the uncanny ability to know when I had come into some "extra" money.
    How, I will never know, except that the car would immediately take that extra money, heartlessly.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Dennis78 likes this.
  10. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Had a 69 Impala that I inherited from my parents back in the 80s. Patched up the rust holes with furnace duct pipe metal (used) and bondo and rustoleum paint, it looked ok for meatball bodywork. It had the 250 straight six with a two speed automatic....it was a real car in every sense of the word. We were newlyweds and my wife drove it back and forth to the hospital because she worked nights there as a nurse. We lived in a tiny trailer in a tiny trailer park and that first winter we went through a stretch of 20 below weather with a howling wind that threatened to freeze everyone solid. That car was the only one that started that next morning. I can still hear the cheer as it came to life. We had that car for a long time and it NEVER let us down. No matter what was failing on her we were always able to limp home and live to travel another day. BRAVO In my mind she is still going somewhere today. Best wishes.

BigDub, bumblebee and Dale Proctor like this.