Caruso exercises for range and endurance

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpeter3197, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Trumpeter3197

Trumpeter3197 New Friend

Jun 30, 2012
    I've recently been looking up various methods to build range, endurance, and all around chops, and I found the famous Carmine Caruso exercises (http://www.aktivraumverlag.de/media/data/the_basic_caruso_1.pdf). My question, to anyone who has tried or consistently does these exercises, how well do these work for chop building? Is there any benefit to playing them at a soft volume to reduce pressure and increase control?

2. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    I have some copies of my teacher tha are exactly the same as the first two, I might post a copy later, only this has all other features as well. I think this will work great, if you'll do it every single day, and if you could do it multiple times a day as well. Once you're done with the last exercise you could go back to the beginning again.

I'll print this one out for myself as well, I've got something like it made myself, but this looks way better. I usually warm up, play these exercises, play some Vizzutti, play band and orchestra parts and inproving and do these exercises again, devided into periods of 15-20 minutes, you might want to take a break between these period. It usually takes me about an hour.

3. jellesmiecht

jellesmiecht New Friend

Jun 1, 2012
    That Caruso is almost a practice routine on itself, it contains breathing exercise, long tones, lip slurs, scales, range and if you want tonguing.
    All the fundamentals are there so if you would practice it in different forms everyday it should give you benefit.

That's why it famous I think....

With a good warm up, some music , and a tonguing exercise it's like every other good practice routine.

But that's my opinion

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  4. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    They can be very strenuous especially when you start out. Take it easy, go slow and follow the instructions to the letter

5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Nice find. Echoing Jerry's comment above, I've got the book, read it and worked out of it for a while and would say that I think it would be best to get the book and read the entire text very carefully. If not, and you are using only this, then go slowly and use your common sense.

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    The Caruso book came with my Severinsen that I bought from a pawn shop, and had a name in it that my teacher recognized, the teacher who he replaced in his University job. It was a funny coincidence. The book is simple, but demanding. I've worked out of it before, I thought it was very good. I may go back to it.

Turtle

7. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    I never saw the parts about Pedal tones in the Caruso method, and never the fingerings. Seems like it's basically 123 and open (or the regular fingerings). What do most people use: the actual fingerings or the 123/open fingerings? And if that 2nd option how is that different from just lipping down notes? I'm sure I'm missing something.

8. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    I just play down using increasing pipelength, like after F#:
    F 1
    E 12
    Eb 23
    D 13
    Db 123
    C 0

And all over again in the next tier:

B 2
    Bb 1
    A 12
    Ab 23
    G 13
    Gb 123

All the way down you can go, it's easier to focus the tone, rather than lipping down, I think. In the first tier (pedal F-C) it's kind of lipping anyway, because they are no part of the enharmonics.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  9. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    Carmine didn't care about fingerings, if you used the same embouchure in pedals as you do playing etc. He never spoke about it or wrote about it in his own book ( musical calisthenics for brass -MCFB). He just had you do them however you could

10. tomba51

tomba51 New Friend

Jan 5, 2004
    Carmine used to tell his students to practice at "room temperature". By that he meant to just play at a comfortable volume, not to try to play loud or soft (except of course for the soft-loud-soft exercises and the loud-soft-loud exercises). There is an EXCELLENT guide to the Caruso method over at Trumpet Herald.

View Forum - Carmine Caruso: Trumpet Herald forum

Click on "Getting Started 1". Follow the instructions there and you will be on the right track.