Caruso Method

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by john7401, Aug 26, 2009.

1. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    I heard someone talking about this in a post from before and tried to look it up on google but people just used the term alot without going into great detail about what it really is. Can someone else explain to me more about it? Why it is so popular? What it really is? Why do or should people use it? Just any information on it.

Another thing is that I realized that it seems a bit more comfortable for my playing to play higher notes with my lips curled in. (The part in the mouthpiece) Recently I found out I can do basically the same notes with the same or sometimes better tone quality by just relaxing the part of my lips that is in the mouthpiece. Shouldn't I really be using the 2nd one for my higher range when I practice and play or does it not matter?

2. irishcornetboy

irishcornetboy Pianissimo User

Oct 16, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  3. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Carmine Caruso taught brass players in New York for many years. The "method" varied a lot from student to student, so books or collections like the one linked to above usually only gives a snapshot of what he taught to a particular student. The most well known successor to his teaching style is Laurie Frink, a trumpet player in New York. I was able to study with her for a few months and what she taught me is a mix of stuff you find in published Caruso material, unpublished stuff, and things she probably made up or modified on the spot just for me. When learned from someone as familiar with the approach as Laurie, it can be a very individualized "method" and can be a very effective way to train the chops to work without thinking about how they work. Without expert guidance, I wouldn't particularly recommend anything I've seen published. If you're interested in lessons, Laurie's website is here:

Lauriefrink

4. irishcornetboy

irishcornetboy Pianissimo User

Oct 16, 2008
    Ah. Well then. Sorry for passing along incomplete information.

5. oldenick

oldenick Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2007
    CT

6. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009