Caruso

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rankamateur, May 29, 2013.

1. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    I've seen/heard some trumpet players playing the song 'Caruso' on Youtube, and wondered where they were getting the music from. Is it specially written or is it available from anywhere, preferably the version Andrea Giuffredi is playing in the clip, and even more preferably with a backing track CD. Anyone know of anything like that going anywhere? Thanks.

2. tjcombo

tjcombo Mezzo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hi. You're right it is a nice tune - if you Google "sheet music Caruso" you can find it. Musicnotes.com has a transcription of Chris Boti's reading available for purchase and download.
    Thanks for the post. I think I'll add this one to my kit bag :-)

tj

3. tjcombo

tjcombo Mezzo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    ...to get started with a backing track, you might take a look at karaoke-version.com. You can customise which instrument you leave out of the mp3 and also vary the key a couple of semi-tones either way. Not as good as a real band, but not bad.

4. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    Oh, that's interesting. Thanks for that, I'll take a look. I have already been looking at karaoke tracks available as MP3s for some of the songs I'd like to play, but I think I'll have to busk the melodies. Audacity can alter key and tempo easily.

EDIT: Just been to the site and there are plenty of them. The second one I clicked on is just fine.

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Rankamature... I wrote a tune that is a take of of Caruso that I named "Midnight in Tuscany". If you are interested in hearing the piece, send me an email link so I can send you an MP3 of the song. And if you like the tune, I will send you the manuscript.

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    .. and a very beautiful tune it is !!!

7. Needs Practice

Needs Practice New Friend

Oct 14, 2012
    San Jose CA.
    A complete tangent, but my late great aunt sang in concert with Enrico Caruso if that that's any help.

No - I'm serious - she did, several times.

8. tjcombo

tjcombo Mezzo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    I like Audacity too and use it quite a bit. The nice thing that sets the backing tracks apart from karaoke tracks on karaoke-version.com is that once you've purchased a track, you can go back, "remix" and download the tracks as much as you like. This means that you can say download versions with and without the horns, then using Audacity, mix the two tracks, using the section without brass for the bits you want to solo over. I've done this to back an upcoming vocal/trumpet performance. Yes, performing to backing track sucks (disdainfully called "trumpet karaoke" by some) but it can facilitate a performance which would otherwise be impracticle. You can also cut'n'paste sections with Audacity to provide an extended backing for a show-off solo. Lots of fun!

tj