Caruso's Musical Calisthenics

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kent, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Kent

Kent New Friend

Apr 25, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    I have a well established embouchure and have been learning to use my air well and looking to add to my usual practice routine. I am curious about Caruso's Musical Calisthenics and have examined the book.

My goal is to increase range (I have a consistent tone up C above the staff) but could use a little more room. I am not intending to be the next Maynard Ferguson but do want to be able and reliable for the gigs I would like to do. I am prepared to put the time and work in but want to work as smart as I can.

I do have a teacher and see her regularly as well.

Anyways, does anyone have anything they can share about how the exercises were intended to be used?

2. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    Look over at Trumpet Herald. Charly Raymond used to run the Caruso group and the first three (sticky)entries in the Caruso forum are detailed instructions on how to find your way through the Caruso method

3. Parkerweiss

Parkerweiss New Friend

Jun 24, 2013
    I've been working out of the book "Flexus" pretty consistently for the past couple months and have noticed a difference in range, particularly in the realm of consistency. It's not by any means a "high note method". But it explains a lot about the proper use of fundamentals and air to open up the upper register. As far as I know the author, Laurie Frink was a student of Caruso's. Definitely worth checking out!