Case deodorant

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by christineka, May 3, 2014.

1. christineka

christineka Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2010
    Last question - I promise! How do you treat a smelly case, so it quits being stinky? I have a cornet case that I keep in my garage because it's too stinky for my house or for use.

2. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    Here's what I do. First I vacuum it thoroughly. Next I sprinkle it liberally with "Carpet Fresh" or the equivalent, and I let it do it's work for a bit--maybe an hour--then I again vacuum it thoroughly. Next comes a liberal sprinkling of baking soda, I actually rub this in so it gets right down to the base of the fibers, close the case and set it aside for the evening. The next morning I vacuum again and take a whiff. If it needs it then it's outside in the fresh air and sunshine for the day (make sure it is safe from animals like cats, squirrels, dogs, etc.). Another vacuuming (sounds like I love to vacuum doesn't it) then more baking soda, this time with charcoal. If you have activated charcoal (like the stuff used in fish tank filters) you can use that, if not just crush a couple of briquettes into a coarse powder, put the powder on some sort of tray so it doesn't get into the fabric. Close the case and forget about it for a couple of days. Remove the charcoal, vacuum out the baking soda and take a whiff. Repeat if necessary. I often finish with a bit of "Febreze" and sometimes tuck a dryer sheet into the case also. Good luck, this can take some time, but I have never had a case so rancid that this didn't make it tolerable.

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Great advice by Amzi. As he suggested, I've also used Febreze on a 1957 Olds Ambassador cornet and case I recently purchase. The horn also smelled bad, every after a good cleaning. I used Febreze to de-stinkify both the cornet and the case.

Mike

4. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Good grief. If I had to go to that much trouble, I'd just spring for a new case.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    In perforated containers I now pack Bounce laundry dryer sheets in all my own cases and those I offer to sell. Sure does help!

6. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    + 1 for dryer sheets

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I recommend setting the case out opened in bright sunshine. But honestly, the best way I have ever heard from testimonials to get the smell out completely, is with an ozone generator.

8. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    All of the above, but sometimes a couple rounds of dampening with isopropyl alcohol followed by letting it dry out in the fresh air and sunshine will kill off a lot of odor causing funk........

Replacing the case is an option but it's nice to have the original case for a nice, vintage horn............

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Hmmmmn! Would 8 hours with my O2 Concentrator feed work?

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Mike, break a leg tonight. Sorry I missed your band's performance by a day.