Case deodorant

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by christineka, May 3, 2014.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Don't know about the odor, but the Pseudomonas have got to be happy.

2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    No problem, my friend. Gig got rescheduled to the end of May.

Mike

3. NMex

NMex Pianissimo User

Dec 23, 2003
    Albuquerque, NM
    I tried all of the above methods on an old Mendez case but nothing really worked until I used this.

Odorcide 210 Concentrate - Pint : Shamrocks, E-Commerce Solution

You can find similar products at your local janitorial supply house. I just mixed up a spray bottle at the recommended dilution, sprayed it inside the case, and put it in the garage. I treated the case twice and it worked great.

Good luck!

- Mario

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Car freshners did the trick in a funky Olds Ambassador case.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    BTW, you can ask as many questions as you want! It's free! We ALWAYS will have an answer!

6. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    I have tried everything listed here, and more. The sad fact is, some cases can't be helped. Everything will make the problem better to some degree. But, I have yet to find a solution that works long term. Once a case has the smell, if you leave the case closed for a long enough period of time, it will come back. If you get a case really clean and the smell is pretty much gone, I recommend keeping it open all the time, except for during transport. If you leave it closed, that smell is coming back.

7. peanuts56

peanuts56 Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2009
    I agree!

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Under normal usage, it sure will. Much of it arrives from interior brass tarnish of the instrument, plus that of silverplate tarnish (mouthpieces alone if not the whole instrument) as added to by instruments that are not meticulously cleaned following every use (Anyone that tells me they do, tells a big fib. Such is not me either, but my instruments aren't stored in cases and are often cleaned) Too, most lubricating oils and greases become rancid.

9. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Lots of good answers here- some even great ones. You learn something new every day!

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    GM, Really, do I have to bring out my microscope and forensic UV lights to know. My nose knows the smell of sour grapes. Vertigris of copper may develop such (Look for it intensely on your Kanstul flugel, inside and outside.) Surely, my weekly wash of the O2 concentrator filters including a final flush in 90% isopropyl alcohol helps deter such. Durn things can be fatal if they develop, especially to me now. Also prevalent in medical instruments and equipment. From time to time I've had Rx for Ciprofloxacn 500mg tab, but not on my Rx presently.