Case deodorant

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by christineka, May 3, 2014.

1. Randall Nelson

Randall Nelson Mezzo Piano User

Nov 26, 2011
    WA State
    Chemist speak time.....Most of the oils in horn lubes contain long chain unsaturated hydrocarbons and these are able to partially oxidize and give the "rancid" smell. Being the chemist, I decided to push the oxidation reaction the rest of the way and sprung for a small ozonizer off eBay....the kind they sell for getting rid of cigarette smell in hotel rooms...about $90 from many sites. I put the case inside a large trash bag with the ozone generator able to blow into the bag and let it do it's thing for two days. Then pulled the case closed while still in the bag and allowed the O3 (ozone) to hang out in there a couple of days with the case closed and the generator off during a business trip.

After a thorough airing out of the case on the one day in the past 6 months where we've had sun here in Seattle, most of the smell was/is gone.

When I was in graduate school, we called this approach to solving a problem "the brute force approach" as contrasted to an "elegant" one...However, if you smelled the case that came with my '30's Artist Bore HN White Silvertone you would have said it needed "BRUTE FORCE APPROACH" on steroids. This took care of most of it.

I've also had good luck with a product called Mirazyme from McNett before going to the ozone because I don't like dissolving the old glues used to hold the felt lining in the case. Mirazyme is used to take the stink out of diving we suits where I hear one of the ways to keep warm is supposedly to urinate inside the wetsuit. Never done that but the stuff takes stink out of my old tents and if it works on wetsuits I figured it might work good on a case. :roll:

2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    It's about time. :-)

Great suggestions.

3. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    I have done a bit of experimenting here...
    If you can get ahold of an ozone generator (or buy one for about $50), they work wonders...

HOWEVER, it depends on what is causing the case to stink...the most likely (and worst culprit) of smells you cannot get rid of by simple means, is mold in the wood under where the bottom of the valves sit. If you have this issue (easy to see if you poke around in that spot, you need to sand, carve, etc all the mold out, fill in if you wish, and seal (i use kills or other like it, etc.

4. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Try robrtx's recommendation of a light application of isopropyl alcohol (or surgical spirit or rubbing alcohol) to the affected area. Pretty good for killing mould but also deglues pretty good so tread carefully.

Best to spray lightly with one of the wife's old perfume spray bottles. In fact, a good quality (high alcohol) perfume should do the same trick. Also white vinegar with a splash of lavender oil is an effective old standby.

5. Randall Nelson

Randall Nelson Mezzo Piano User

Nov 26, 2011
    WA State
    I often use some vanillin, ethyl vanillin, or heliotropin. One or two crystals does it. (I make my own Kahlua at times so I have these as the reagent chemicals).

You might try a drop or two of the commercial vanilla extract..I haven't done this but it should work and if you don't like it a day in the sunshine will take it out.

6. mickvanflugel

mickvanflugel Forte User

Jul 1, 2011
    Germany
    Febreeze and all the substitutes combined with sunshine do the trick for me.
    But it is surely interesting to read about what the chemical cracks here have in store :-)