Casual Double High C - Any good?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by nestbeast, May 29, 2010.

1. nestbeast

nestbeast Pianissimo User

Jul 31, 2008
    Cultural black hole
    I have been looking and looking for some help on developing my range and a way to play the trumpet with more ease.
    I saw an advertisement for a method called Casual Double High C by a man named Odneal.
    Has anyone ever used this method and if so has it improved your range and the general playing of the trumpet?
    So many methods are just "snake oil".
    I would appreciate any replies.
    Thank you.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I don't think that any method is "snake oil". I think that the EXPECTATIONS that are awakened by the marketing machinery are.

It also doesn't matter if Arban or Rubank is the only book that you own. What matters is the intelligence in your daily routine, the dedication and the patience that you are willing to bring to the table.

I bought Double High C in 37 Weeks many years ago. It works as well as Schlossberg, Clarke up an octave, Irons and many other methods. The advantage of it is that it actually uses licks important to playing upstairs. You develop musical context at the same time.

Bob Odneal is an accomplished player. I am sure there are some great tips in there. The rest is up to you anyway. 5% too little patience and any purchase is a mistake however!

3. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    I picked up double top C in ten minutes..... its all about the hi low gear and it has some great tips and excersises for up top but i just dont think it works well for me... or im doing something wrong :S

4. nestbeast

Jul 31, 2008
    Cultural black hole
    I don't think there are instant methods. I do not think that you are doing anything wrong either.
    I just tell myself that I have to be patient and keep working at my playing.
    Thank you for your response.

5. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    I have incorporated Bob Odneal's method into my daily practice for a couple of years and feel it has helped. My giging range is a confident D above high C, I can play up to the F and the G is starting to come.

As a comeback player of 72 I dont expect miracles but with diligent practice I am getting better!

Regards, Stuart.

6. nestbeast

Jul 31, 2008
    Cultural black hole
    Sounds like you are doing pretty darn good - a regular D above the staff and increasing to F & G. You are doing well. Thank you for your response.
    Many good gigs for you.

7. Trumpet1Ohio

Trumpet1Ohio Piano User

Jun 22, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I bought it, tried it, but felt it took too long to do the exercises each day. They're really boring. Not saying they won't work. I opted for other methods.

8. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
  9. nestbeast

Jul 31, 2008
    Cultural black hole
    Thank you. I appreciate your reply. This helps me decide if I really want to invest in another double C "method".

10. Keith Fiala

Keith Fiala Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    First off let me say that Bob is a great friend... and between he and Pops, they kept me at the horn after leaving Maynard's band. His method really does work, as does Pops', etc.

What most everyone who is looking to develop range tends to look for is the quick and easy solution that will solve all their problems in "X" time frame. I agree with Rowuk completely that it really does come down to intelligence when practicing. Most range problems stem from players using their lips to narrow the air stream as they ascend. Bob's method has you set a small aperture and keep it that way... as does what I teach as well (Chops Rehab). Useable (gig) range depends on how mentally relaxed you stay when playing... if you flip out when you near a G, then most likely you will over react and miss.

Bottom line is that what ever method you choose, you have to be patient and practice carefully and logically. Playing melodies in the upper register is a great thing to do - as long as you are doing it properly (air speed with abs not pinching lips).

I certainly hope this helps a bit as I've been in that place of just being completely lost!

Sincerely,
    Keith Fiala