Cat Anderson’s “20 minute G” exercise

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by The Kraken, Jul 28, 2010.

1. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805
    Cat Anderson's "20 minutes G" excercise

How many of you have actually tried this and what are your thoughts?:play:

2. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    what is it? and il give it ago....

3. dlewis

dlewis Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    RANDALLSTOWN MARYLAND
    You play the 2 line g for 20 minutes non stop. taking a breath when needed played very soft

4. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    sounds fun..... might give it a try one day....

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I tried and consider it to be a big waste of time - time better spent making music.

Please do not forget, the "hard" working player has a much different situation than the more "casual" player. What those pros do to keep THEIR faces in shape between gigs has NOTHING to do with the mush most of us deal with. Their success is a mix of how much they perform, how much is needed to come back down, their emotional make up and sometimes, but probably less than more, their ability to analyse students situations and offer guidelines.

6. simonstl

simonstl Pianissimo User

Nov 25, 2008
    Dryden/Ithaca, NY
    I wasn't looking for range in particular, but I tried it.

You are guaranteed to learn patience from this one, and it certainly encourages thinking about breathing in a very different way. I thought it might be something I could do while working on other things, but that turned out not to be true. It's definitely something better done as a meditation, a simple task made worth additional thought.

A week of it helped my general endurance, but eventually I ran out of patience.

7. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    First of all, experience has shown me that blanket condemnation or approval of any technique be it pedals, buzzing or anything else you can think of is a mistake. Most of those things work great for some people, make things worse for others and waste the time of the rest. You need to be pragmatic about these things, not dogmatic

Secondly there is a book out by a Cat Anderson student at a pretty reasonable price that explains the 20 minute G. There is a little more to the G than has been described. Maybe the directions are understood and followed the results might be different

8. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    Very true. I own the new Cat book. The sustained G is just one of many exercises Cat taught. It has helped me identify some things I've been doing wrong. But I don't make a religion out of it. I can tell you one thing for sure: If you go through the warm-ups and exercises and don't neglect regular practice, you will improve. Cat's technique is not for wimps, and is definitely not any sort of shortcut. It is work!

9. vinjonman

vinjonman New Friend

May 12, 2010
    I bought the "Cat" book in 1974 while living and playing in Atlanta. I started to blow those really, really soft G's, before I knew it it was 2010!!!

10. ChiefNate

ChiefNate New Friend

Nov 3, 2008
    Memphis TN USA
    My teacher (in 77 and 78) was John Coffey- he said to play the 20 minute G and added,"Breathe IF necessary." It weaned me from an ineffectual sound on a 3E and let me play better on a 1-1/4C. Not a screamer, just a section player for the next 25 years. Do dare try 20 min G on my new Curry 1.5M hitman?