Cat Anderson Trumpet Method

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Joe N., Apr 3, 2007.

1. crh

crh New Friend

Aug 27, 2007
    I am looking for further information on the Cat Anderson Method. I have a printout of a post by someone who was a student of Cat's and said that he had notes from lessons and a copy of the original text and the correct order of the studies since the book is not put together in the intended order.

Thank you all.

crh

2. hubnub

hubnub Piano User

May 4, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Golf Central for me. I play the G while they talk and rest during commercials. I set the volume at a certain level (on my T.V. 14 does the trick) and try not to play any louder than I can hear the T.V. It works wonders for me. My College teacher advocated doing the "20 min G" at the end of the night as the last thing for your face to remember.....

I own a 2 story house. I also try playing in the living room, which is directly under the kids' room. Gotta play real soft or I'll wake them up. That's the real test for me.;-)

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Alan, you have excellent insite here, but there is a MAJOR factor that we can't ignore. All of the people that you mention are WORKING professionals that play more than enough to stay in shape and need additional work ONLY to develop new skills or compensate for the nasties that can happen on the road. I question much of the stuff out there is valid for the occasional casual player (including 20 minutes of long tones).

I maintain that a lot of this stuff is cool to know, but for the player barely squeezing in 45 minutes a day, useless. For the working pro looking to come down after a heavy night, maintain a big fat sound in spite of hours of double Cs, this could be the best thing since sliced bread.

Each of us needs to look at the time available, the technical proficiency required in the groups we play with and how to balance that. A solid INDIVIDUAL routine is the only solution that will let the pros and beginners balance that time/quality conflict. The CAT method is a "nice to have", not a "required subject"!

4. bspickler

bspickler Pianissimo User

Apr 28, 2006
    Denver, CO
  5. Graham

Graham Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    I got a copy of this method a little while ago from the "roddytrumpet" website, and haven't had much time to work it into my routine yet.

I have seven weeks before I'm going over to China to play for the olympics, and I'm gonna need cast-iron chops, so I think I'm gonna start doing this before I leave.

I'll have to post back sometime later and report my findings!

(ps. Greetings from down-under! This is my first post in this forum!)

6. administrator

administrator Administrator Staff Member

Jun 27, 2006
    Welcome. What are you playing at the Olympics?

7. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    If some of you are interested in long tone studies try the Walter White web site.
    Walter gave a seminar on his long tone studies that he does many times a day.
    Ingrid Jensen assisted. ITG 33
    Walter's down loads allow the player to have a drone or chord changes to make the long tones more interesting.
    I'll edit in the web site later.

8. hubnub

hubnub Piano User

May 4, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    what was the significance of the harmon? Backpressure?

9. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    With these long tones how do you regulate your breathing? Do you play until you have no breath, or should you breath every 8 bars (4/4 100bpm)? As i am a didjeridoo player i can circular breathe, would that be a good way of approaching it?

10. Graham

Graham Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hey hey! Well, the deal is that they're creating a 2008-piece marching "Olympic Orchestra", officially sanctioned by the Olympic committee. There's a lovely *shudder* mashup of various olympic fanfares, beethoven, and chinese traditional tunes that's been thrown together by John Williams, and each contingent gets some of their own tunes. There are about 5 charts and that medley to play. When we get there, there'll be 5 days of 8-hour-a-day rehearsals. :shock:

Essentially, we're gonna be playing a few gigs all around the place, and we're most likely going to play for the opening ceremony. (I say "most likely", because we've been warned that the Chinese government are liable to change their minds as to our involvement n the opening ceremony, as has been demonstrated in other matters in the past)

Lots of loud high fanfarey stuff, I'm playing the first trumpet part, and I'm feeling like building some range and endurance. Hopefully Cat can lend a hand! lol