Cat Anderson Trumpet Method

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Joe N., Apr 3, 2007.

1. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Just tried that 20min Cat Anderson note and it is a bloody excellent exercise! I circular breathed it 3min blocks. It is certainly possible to do this with a bit of hard practice. Incredibly, i never realised how much a gap i have between my teeth. As soon as i moved my jaw up a little bit my central pitch was higher. I think my jaw was set on a low note position. It certainly gives the embouchure much more support. I thought my embouchure was OK, but clearly not.:dontknow:
    Thanks for all the useful advice on this thread.

2. gdong

gdong Piano User

Jun 7, 2008
    LA/Lake Tahoe/NYC
    the 20G is hard, but I have seen it help with my air flow and relaxation. I'm into long G's and low F#'s right now, they really help me, but not for 20 minutes. The method itself is all about isometric strength building. If you are rock solid in your mouthpiece position and don't move at all between registers ever, then this mothod is worth a shot, it will really build strength, but you need the flexibility to use that strength. If you are still unstable in the mouthpiece position, get stable or you will just be frustrated with any high-note system.

Cat was sort of a natural high-note player and I feel that his method reflects what he did to improve and maintain his facility, not as a method to high notes. As for recommendations, i would find a method by someone who went through embouchure troubles/accidents and came out on top. They would know really how the mechanics work from the ground up. Someone like bobby shew or ken larson comes to mind there.

I would recommend Jim Thomsons buzzing basics for as long as you feel you need it (4 years for me!). It will build strength and flexability, then take it to the upper register with stamp and caruso.

Good Luck!

3. Graham

Graham Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Well, now that I'm finally on holidays from Uni, (and the dreaded Technical Assessment is outta the way), I have the time to do the Cat Anderson exercises!

I just finished playing the first two pages, which was interesting. Watched a couple of episodes of Family Guy while doing the long tones, the 20 minute G and C were ok, and the 20 minute "E-G, E-G, A-B, B-C" part was a bit of a struggle but I can definitely feel that this is a workout for the ol' chops.

The second page was pretty good, very much akin to Clark exercises, and I focussed on playing them in the most relaxed manner possible. I felt it loosened me up a little bit after the long tones.

If anyone can shed some light on anything I should be aware of while going through these exercises, I'd greatly appreciate it!

4. Edwin Warren

Edwin Warren New Friend

Jul 19, 2008

5. Edwin Warren

Edwin Warren New Friend

Jul 19, 2008
    Freddy Guzman, a great Mexican trumpet player '50's - '60's warmed up w/ long notes (+15 minutes) using circular breathing. Ed Warren

6. sdhinote

sdhinote Pianissimo User

Feb 3, 2006
    Palm Desert
    For those of you who might be interested, I was a student of Cat's for 8 years. His method does work, but his book sucked (he even thought so). I have recently finished rewriting and reorganizing his method. If you are interested in developing a great upper register, visit my webpage. Many people have already bought the book including Bob Odneal, George Rawlin and Arturo Sandoval. Check it out!

7. rviser

rviser Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2008
    Good god!! So I just tried this for the first time. I made it through the first exercise, even though at times I felt like I might pass out. When I got to the second one (holding out C for 20 min. going from mf to FFF to pp) I couldn't keep going after about 5 min. w. out removing the horn from the face and doing horseflaps. I had to cut it off at 10 min. rather than 20. There's no way in heck I'll be able to do the thrid part of the 1st lesson. At the bottom of the page, it says to do this lesson for 2 days. Is it safe to assume that I should be able to play through the whole 1st lesson first before going any further? Thanks!

Ryan

8. wnaus

wnaus Pianissimo User

Dec 4, 2008
  9. crh

crh New Friend

Aug 27, 2007
    You need to check out Geoff Winstead's new book that shows how Cat intended his method to be. The original book does not make sense. It is put together out of order without proper instructions. If you follow the instructions from Geoff's book, which was created using lesson notes from Cat you WILL see results.

crh

10. Graham

Graham Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    By being up on the forum for 2 years.