Caveat Emptor

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tobylou8, Apr 4, 2013.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Just reading the description should raise some concern. Possible bell bow damage, enough to "crease" the 1st valve knuckle. Fixable but not in the description of thi stunning instrument with MOP keys and intricite design. Refer tot photos they are description. :stars::stars::stars: Gotta love the "bay".

Vintage 1954 E K Blessing Co Super Artist Trumpet Elkhart Ind | eBay

2. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Always wanted one. Played one once. Superb feeling. But you're correct. Too much apparent and unapparent damage unless relatively cheaply obtained.

3. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    The seller, obviously a volume dealer, didn't take or perhaps have the time to describe the horn in detail. Their feedback score, combined with their return policy, their own caveat emptor in the form of the reference to the photos, and the $.99 opening bid/no reserve add up to a reasonable auction IMO. An interested bidder can ask questions, too, and the answers can be revealing. It's also interesting to read the neutral and negative feedback.

Personally, when I sell on eBay I provide a complete description, and I try to keep it conservative, so that if there are any surprises for the buyer, they will be good ones. I also routinely insure the shipment, since shipping damage is not uncommon in spite of careful packaging, and this provides recourse.

4. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    And that's precisely the way for the volume dealer to do it. Very low opening bid. Let it seek its own level.
    However, there is the attendant danger of enthusiasm getting the better of some bidders who lack the sense to inquire too deeply and get stuck.
    On the other hand, the wise buyer may snag something quite reasonably.

5. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Of course there's the early Connie that's on there as well. Just needs some repair, like all three valves, the lower caps, the slide stops, etc.:roll::evil::oops::cool:

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I agree with ya'll and I do think the return policy covers any problems. I guess when I see the word "stunning" as an adjective, it should be close. For a tech to buy and fix, I doubt there is anything to scare them away. For the rest of us, it's buy and pay to fix.

7. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Looks like someone used the mouthpiece to drive nails.