CB player

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Corsair, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Corsair

Corsair Pianissimo User

Jun 19, 2006
    MN
    Sir,

I have a couple of questions for you.
    Being a comeback player and working the Arban book for about 6 months now, with no formal training and no groups that I am playing in (yet). What might you suggest that I do to evaluate where I am in my abilities and, am I as efficient as I can be at playing. How can I get an honest evaluation from others as to what I need to work on and how to improve? Been out of it so long.

Secondly,
    I am thinking about taking my wife to see Doc with the Minnesota Orchestra on our 28th anniversary Nov. 17th. What are the best seats to get the best sound for our listening pleasure?

KJ

Last edited: Sep 8, 2006
  2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    If you're serious about it...there is a guy in MN who could give you a very good evaluation.

You might even be able to arrange a meeting after the concert on Nov. 17.:cool:

-cw-

3. Corsair

Corsair Pianissimo User

Jun 19, 2006
    MN
    I wouldn't want to take any time away from my bride on our anniversary

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Corsair,

People are always happy to give advice and tips whether you actually need it. Free advice is worth the money you play for it.

You can size yourself up by playing duets with someone you know whom you respect. You can go to a Schmitt Music type place and get a half hour with someone who may just be out of school or with more experience if you're lucky. You can shell out a few more bucks and get a lesson with an experienced teacher.

I'd try to get a lesson with a qualified teacher and ask them how you stack up to whatever else is out there.

Also, anywhere in Orchestra Hall, Minneapolis is great but avod the partial view because you need to see Doc as well as hear him.

ML

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    as a comeback player, you probably will have to take what is available at first. That could be a community band, for instance. Pick something not too far away - playing regularly is key to getting better.
    When your chops get back together, the people around you will notice and then the opportunities for other things open up.
    Practicing alone gets you started, playing with other people gets you focussed on what is necessary.
    Definitely find a teacher/mentor.