CBS News on Traveling Musicians

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gchun, Feb 18, 2007.

1. gchun

gchun Piano User

Dec 10, 2003
    Did anyone see the segment on yesterdays (2/17) CBS News about traveling musicians? The lead-in was about the hassles traveling musicians are going through. I didn't see the segment, but it sounded like they were going to talk about issues traveling with instruments.

I missed it. Anyone see it?

Garry

2. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    Delta Airlines have been a real pain in the patoot about letting musicians carry on instruments. The past few issues of the AFM monthly have had articles asking union members to boycott Delta.

3. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'd gladly boycott Delta either way. That's my least favorite airline.

4. highbrass

highbrass Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2005
    Honolulu, HI
  5. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Valery is a seriously small man, a Russian man. I can only imagine the collective stupidity of the airport clowns......"Look out for that terrorist trumpet player, his double Cs are lethal"ROFL
    "Is that Viola loaded?"
    "What kind of ammo does that Bassoon use?"
    Maybe if we had better educated agents, we could whip out our instruments and the agents would recognize them for what they are, tools that produce beauty, not mayhem.
    Valery's treatment was inexcusable.

Wilmer

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I know that French law is based on "Code Civil", but aren't there grounds for a lawsuit there?

I've heard similar stories about Canadian musicians being forced to leave prized violas and such behind in Europe after a summer of "summer school".... or pack them as "freight"... with the end result being a pile of splinters; why is there nothing so uncommon as "common sense"?

7. BflatAnklan

BflatAnklan Pianissimo User

Jan 28, 2005
    Midwest area USA
    wow

I've had a horn TRASHED before by an airline. (AirTran)

After that experience I'd just wait for another flight that will let me carry on my horns. I have not had any person tell me to check my bag since that experince, my Mike Vax case may have something to do with it, but I don't know for sure.

It's terrible to hear about that guys arm!!! wow

8. gchun

gchun Piano User

Dec 10, 2003
    Hey Liz!

Thanks, I think that was the segment. I heard about Valery's situation as he was supposed to give a clinic at the school on his visit to Honolulu, which was cancelled due to the incident.

I've got a bunch of cases that you might be interested in borrowing for your trip. Let me know and I'm sure we can work something out.

Garry

9. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Boy what a crappy story... I'd have ended up dead! But I can guarentee you one or two of the French cops would have left the airport limping!

Is that a large bore trumpet... Be careful it could be capable of housing a 50 Cal round... Give me a darn break!

10. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    Maybe Manny could tell us if the MO had any issues on the recent trip to NYC like this.