CBS News on Traveling Musicians

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gchun, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Melodious Thunk

Melodious Thunk Pianissimo User

Jan 14, 2009
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    I've had two rather expensive guitars trashed by airlines. I am very surprised that you can't just put a trumpet in the overhead compartment? I've been able to fit acoustic guitars (in hardshell cases) in overheads (mostly on international flights tho). I've found that if you ask in advance, that a lot of the time you can have a steward or stewardess store you instrument in their coat closet. This may have changed now, due to the post 911 stuff, although I had no problem doing this shortly after 911. The best bet is to have your stuff insured! If you don't, you'll have to jump through a ton of hoops just to get the airline to pay out $250US for a $2200US guitar! I learned the hard way! It's also hard to find a quality guitar when you are short on time and have to play a gig in Latvia!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  2. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    I just flew down to West Palm in Florida form Washington DC and back with my Bach Strad 184L cornet in a Reunion Blues Triple Gig bag. Down on Air Tran and Back on Jet Blue. I had zero problems getting through security either way and no problems on either airline. No one even asked me to open the bag! Guess I was lucky!

3. Scooter01

Scooter01 Pianissimo User

Mar 31, 2006
    I have my horn in a gig bag with a K&M stand stuffed in the bell. I recently had a TSA agent remove the horn and swab the stand (checking for explosives). She didn't exactly handle the horn as carefully as I would like so I asked for her supervisor and filed a formal complaint. Of course you are not allowed to touch it during the procedure, any of my calm cautions about her handling the instrument were pretty much ignored. Doubtful the complaint did any good but I'll find out next time I encounter the same staff at that airport (STL).