Celebrity Player Horn Values

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jiarby, Mar 13, 2014.

1. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Hey guys...

We are pretty good here as a group at assessing the normal value of a trumpet, but how much value to you think a celebrity association adds to a horn value??

If a Martin is $3.5-5k normally... how much more is a Miles Davis one, or a Chet Baker?? How about a Dizzy owned King? A Maynard Connstellation? A Louis Armstrong 10-22?

How about a sideman association rather than front man? How about a Stan Mark black lacquered horn (now at the Sherman Jazz Museum), or a Don (or John too!) Thomas Callicchio 1S/2?

2. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Means nothing to me, but I'm not a collector.

3. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Wouldn't add value to me, particularly. Doubt it would sound the same with me playing it anyway.

4. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    It may sound morbid....but if they're really famous, the horn would certainly have value....but more than likely not until they're dead.

Kujo

5. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    Depends on the player and how good the documentation is. If you could prove you had a Martin comitee that Chet recorded with for example I'd guess it would sell at auction for 15-20,000. But, it would have to be documented very well with serial numbers and pics etc...but, Chet had lots of horns and not much consistency, so finding something with him that you could prove would be rare.

6. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    A horn owned by a celebrity has no more value to me than any other horn.

7. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    I've had horns that were used by 1st and 2nd tier jazz guys, mostly from the '20s- '30s. Names that mean nothing to most people now. Langston Curl, Bill Coleman, Chris Griffin, Phil Napoleon, Bob Effros etc.
    most of these I picked up years ago, before the internet thru the early jazz geek network of people who had nothing better to do that trace these early players, and their families down. Sometimes the horns meant more to the families that to us, sometimes they were so thrilled we knew of then, and played their long-forgotten music they gave 'em to us. Those mean the most to me.

8. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    A working trumpet is only as valuable as the sound you get out of it. And when it's not being played, it isn't a trumpet. Usually just a couple of pounds of brass.

The value of a celebrity's old equipment is its value as a memeto, not as a trumpet. It's like Elvis' underpants. They may have some value proudly displayed as an after-dinner topic of discussion. But you wouldn't actually wear them. That would be quite wyrd.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    A local guys passed awhile ago and his family was trying to cash in on his name with a "dissertation/resume" listing on c'list! He was a nice guy but not even the best in any band he ever played in! Asked at least triple retail value of all the horns. They still have all of them. DUH!!!!

10. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Well, my favorite is a '29 Conn 60b belonged to Langston Curl of the McKinney's Cotton Pickers band. One of THE most hell fired jazz/dance bands of the early electric era. Nothing can quite duplicate the feeling when you're playing the same horn with the same ridebook used on the same 1929 recording!