Celebrity Player Horn Values

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jiarby, Mar 13, 2014.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I place a lot of value in horns that already have the right notes trained and available for recall. Life is a bitch when you buy a new horn and it can't do anything by itself! Artisans these days don't have as powerful magic wands as they did 75 years ago..........

The problem with many working musicians horns is that they are shot, worn out, dead. Some of this is due to lack of proper care and a lot of miles, some of it is due to excessive use without good valve oil.

Nope, the library of prepared tunes is the only thing that a celebrity trumpet will get you.

2. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    I wasn't thinking that they would be useful as a player... but if you could buy Maynard's Conn Connstellation or Miles Davis's Martin Committee how much more then the instrinsic horn value does the celebrity attribution. There is a Harry James Selmer for sale, but the price is VERY high. I wonder how much higher is OK. A Dizzy Gillespie Martin sold for 40k at the same auction as a $320k Coltrane sax.

3. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi jiarby,
    The values don't change that much to my knowledge. Now if you have:
    Freddie Mercury's microphone
    Eric Clapton's or Dwayne Allman's guitar used on Layla
    Jimi Hendrix's guitar from Woodstock
    or just about anything from the Beatles, then you're talking money. The sound of trumpets just don't hold the populace like rock or country. You have to remember, we blow through plumbing and eventhough we can say "we have one heck of a horn" which to some would indicate increased "sexual abilities", we still get trumped by lead singers and drummers in a rock band. Maybe if we wear leather pants when we play.
    Dr.Mark

4. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Tried it. Lederhosen definitely assist with the upper register ;-)

5. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    While we say this that it has no more real value in reality, it does because of the collectors out there. I could never afford a celebrity owned trumpet. I will just own one thats been owned by myself.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    So you do own celebrity horns! :cool:

7. duderubble

duderubble Piano User

Oct 21, 2011
    Probably those that sell as celebrity horns are very unlikely to be purchased by real musicians as they could never afford them. So a trumpet that is famed for the beautiful music that once came from it gets demoted to wall hanger. It's kind of sad, actually.

This reminds me of the fiddle at the Laura Ingalls Wilder Museum that was her father's. It gets taken out of the case from time to time to be played at special occaisions because apparently violins degrade if they are not played.

8. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Not so. Several friends, pro players, collect and use horns owned by well known jazzers.

9. duderubble

duderubble Piano User

Oct 21, 2011
    That's good to hear. But I'm thinking more of the ones from guys like Dizzy.

10. Honkie

Honkie Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    I have a horn previously owned by a jazz player (still active), a pretty famous musician you've all probably heard of. But I don't have any documentation, so I'd feel like an idiot making that claim, if I ever sell the horn.