Center of pitch

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mark_Kindy, Jul 2, 2013.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Young Mark Kindy has returned to the forum --- WHAT a pleasant surprise --- Sorry Mark, can't help you on this one, as mostly playing King Silver Flairs and Olds Super, even my Trombone is an Olds ------- so with my hearing impairment, and such, I always sound "in tune", to me. Fortunately for me, when we do a parade, and I am then playing the trombone, the band always warms up to my F. On the other hand, in community band with the trumpet, I rely on tuning from the people on either side of me, who often give me a nodding head indicating the affirmative (((which is obvious to me --- I am always out of tune, and they say YES KT your out, or they are affiming I am always in tune.)))) -----------------------but I can usually tell by the FEEL ON THE LIPS of the vibration!!!!!, what is in tune -- occasionally I check with the tuner (((that is broke, or I am always in tune))))) ROFL ROFL ROFL

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    KT, most tuners reflect the pitch for a C instrument. Thus to play a Bb trumpet or Tenor trombone you've got to adjust two semi-tones higher. You may know this, but I just want to make sure you do.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    thanks -- the Korg tuner I got actually tells me "WHAT NOTE" the pitch is tuned too --- quite awesome actually!! (and yes, you can set it to reflect the Bb of the trumpet and other instruments) --it's quite nice for what I paid for it!!!-- but thanks for the tip Ed.

bumblebee likes this.
  4. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Hi Ed,
    Is this true for tenor trombone reading bass clef? I thought their music was already in "concert pitch".

--bumblebee

5. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    Tenor trombones are pitched in Bb -- as in their slide-all-the-way-in-tuning-note is concert Bb -- but trombone players are taught to read non-transposed bass clef. They see a Bb on the bass clef, they play a first-position Bb, they call it Bb, and the tuner tells them they're playing a Bb. If you told a "native" trombone player that he or she had to mentally transpose their music up a major second and subtract two flats from the key signature, only to then play the mentally-transposed music down a major second while adding the missing flats back in... well, they'd probably snort and go back to their beer.

6. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Sadly, I do not have my Bach any longer (I sold it last year sometime to Cody [is he still around?]) But I will check my Edwards with this method when I have the chance. Does the bow need to be rosined? It makes sense that a different length would affect the resonance, which I can guess that I must be close to. What happens if after you do this, you are out of tune?

bumblebee likes this.
  7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    No, it means the rest of the world is out of tune.

Actually, my Martin Committee tunes to most pianos I have played against in the balanced tuning configuration. My Olds Ambassador tunes sharp. A rosined bow will make the belled note ring better, but it does not need to be rosined.

8. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    To be effective this should only be done at a full moon with the horn facing magnetic north and with your eyebrows plucked and your umbrella up.

Regards, Stuart.

9. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Phew, I think I've got that covered. Gotta get Tory to do the eyebrows though ^.^

Gmonady -- so how do you handle your Ambassador tuning sharp? Have to adjust, I suppose?

10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    or you can spend some time with a strobe tuner .. the tuner blocks darken with full resonance...
    You can stop the wheel by bending the note in tune but the blocks won't darken unless you have the pitch centered on your instrument ( unless you are a monster player with incredible chops)