Center or Upper Embouchure Problem?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Yayo, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Yayo

Yayo New Friend

Apr 16, 2011
    Hey trumpet community! I seem to be having a embouchure problem for some time (about a year or so). After just playing for 10-15m maybe 20 minutes I get extremely tired. Its not the corners of my mouth that start to hurt (unless I'm doing slurring) but the center or the upper part of my lip. I get a real burning sensation from it especially in the upper register. I do tend to lower my Jaw when going "Up", I've been told that maybe its because my lower lip is not exactly aligned with my upper teeth, its actually beneath my upper teeth or better describes as my bottom lip tucks behind my teeth. Maybe because I role in my lips?

I really don't now and its very frustrating when I have to play very high notes in my Salsa Orchestra. I know its hard to determine or diagnose my problem without actually seeing me but perhaps you know or had my problem and can help me solve it and make me last longer. Again, its not my corners its my upper lip and sometimes center but mostly upper.
    Thanks for your time and responses!

2. bach37

bach37 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2011
    Get with a trusted proven teacher. Can't diagnose on the internet. GET WITH A TEACHER.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Can't tell you what your doing wrong. But something is wrong because you are experiencing muscle strain, and odds are it is NOT the equipment.

And absolute cure for this is to play the Hammond B3. Muscle strain on the lip is gone. The B3-It works for me.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  4. Yayo

Yayo New Friend

Apr 16, 2011
    Thanls for oyu reply! Could you tell me more on the "Hammond B3"?

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Here is me on the Hammond B3 at age 7 years. Notice nothing to strain the lips when playing this instrument.
    [​IMG]

6. chapmand

chapmand Piano User

Jul 26, 2010
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Nice Organ!
    Tell us about that great horn on the B3. Did it have three or four 'valves'?

7. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    That is a sensation I have never heard of. It doesn't sound good though and you must check this out with someone who can see you play before you do serious harm to you embouchure. It sounds like you are tightening something too much but that is all I can say from here

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    same as everyone else here ... you really do need to have a trusted teacher check this out.
    When you said burning sensation I thought you may have damaged something while you were playing in the salsa gig. Too much pressure perhaps ... no clue as to what's going on.
    The Doc has a good suggestion in that rest sounds needed.
    I sound like a broken record with this suggestion but very soft long tones might help ... as in pppp. Rest alot in between your practice exercises ... hopefully you do practice and aren't just pulling your horn out and then ripping high G's.
    How often do you play with the salsa band ... is it a paying gig? What do you consider playing high? How often do you practice and what do you do for a practice regime.
    These are the kinds of things a teacher will want to know as well.

9. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Lets see gmonady, a trumpet, a mixed drink, a 1 dollar tip and a pack of smokes sitting on that B3, I’d say you were well on your way at a very young age !! Nice B3 by the way, with the matching leslie !! I'm assuming this was a Halloween gig !

10. dangeorges

dangeorges Pianissimo User

Oct 20, 2010
    I see that the trumpet is a Kazoo Factory special - three valves, .420 bore, 8F mouthpiece. Very rare, and in excellent condition.