Center or Upper Embouchure Problem?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Yayo, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Leslie organ??? I think Lowry, possibly with the great auxiliary Leslie speakers as were then available for it.

2. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Oh, my.... EVERYONE should know that THE organ of the 50's through the 70's was the Hammond B3 model, accompanied by a Leslie tone cabinet (read amp, guitar players) that had a rotating speaker that could speed up, slow down, or stop. Reference the song Tie Dye Princess by the Ides of March (used a horn band so that there was a chance for most here to relate.)

3. Yayo

Yayo New Friend

Apr 16, 2011
    Thanks for all you reply's! I usually practice 1h to an 1:30h mostly ever day. I pay with the salsa band usually on the weekends and must play from G up the staff on up. It's after hitting these high notes for a while that I star to get sore. I practice arbans, clarke and schlossberg (air, slurs, staccato, double, triple tonguing, some long notes). I divide my practice time with these book. Yet even in my simple warm-up i have had these burn. But with the look of it I will need to find some good professional help that can help me correct this problem. But, any tips and help that you guys might offer will be appreciated!

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC

Perhaps it was then when Gmonady was 7, but X years later until the present, I would expect it to be unlikely to still exist, or be in his present collection of memorabilia. Still, I wouldn't give more than a quarter for it now at a flea market, even if it were in A1 pristine condition. If I want a kazoo sound, I just cut off a strip of wax paper and put it between my lips which is a good demonstration of the vibratory lip effect required to play these brass instruments.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    IMO very few "teachers" or any others can accurately assess an embouchure set-up or problem. I disavow that I can either! Mostly such lays to whatever works for YOU, and extended PRACTICE to develop the strengths to attain the desired results. Certainly many of us have physiological differences that may make it more difficult to attain than someone else can.

What I discern is that so many over exert their efforts and strain to the indicator of pain and then yell that their embouchure may be a problem. While one's embouchure may be the problem, I like to think in most instances it is not. Most contemporary Billboard hit songs are only about 5 minutes in duration. Thus, would it be functional to initially practice only 5 minutes and REST 5 minutes as one develops the strengths to play longer? To such suggestive question my answer is YES! It still sometimes takes me that long to decide and find the next song I'll practice to play.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    While I concur that in the "50s I was aware of many Hammond organs but wasn't concerned with model numbers then, it was a Lowry my Mother acquired at home, and then with it a separate Leslie speaker or should I say a set of speakers per cabinet that rotated. Honestly, other than an indpendent volume control and power switch, I didn't consider such as much of an amplifier, and although she had the Leslie, she seldom used it. The whole "rig" was donated to our church and utilized in the children's department when she acquired the pre-owned Steinway 11 foot grand piano, and that too has now been re-sold.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yes, it played flawlessly, and also served as a nice tip paperweight.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    If you note on the pictures in the posts, the Leslie WAS the only speaker option for the B-3... and BOY did it produce THE sound... still does after all these years in my music room at my home... Gotta love vacuum tubes! AND if they go out, gotta love the military, which IS the source of vacuum tubes should the need replacement.

BUT MAN, I have had my Hammond organ since 1963 and have not replaced a single tube... which I could say the same about my other organ.....

9. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    There has been a renaissance in vacuum tube audio equipment and virtually any kind of tube is readily available. I have tubes in my Melos (no longer in business) preamp and it sounds far "better" than the fine Adcom pre-amp/tuner I have.
    Some of the absolutely greatest audio sound available is from the old 300B tubes. Not much power, but hooked to the right speakers you get put into the music like nothing else.
    The Russian (and I believe us for a time) had tubes in their fighter jets. Why? Radiation does not effect tubes but it destroys transistors.

Rich T.

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Don't think many vaccum tubes could be purchased directly from our military ... unless they were declared surplus and available from Defense Re-utilizaton Management Office (DRMO) aka military surplus. For a time (and they still may be) many vacuum tubes were interchangeable with transistors of the T-can type. The last I heard (and not long ago) many of the FAA control towers still had vacuum tube equipment and some replacements were only then available only as imported from France. I have no doubt that around the world many airports still operate on such obsolete technology, and too I've no doubt replacements are now mfrd in many other countries. Now if I could only find a source for new 12" reels of 1/2" magnetic recording tape and 7" reels of 1/4" magnetic recording tape (I'd even accept 5" reels of the latter). I don't mean old and unsold stock ... I've already encountered enough problems with that.

The only tube set I still use is a Zenith Transoceanic shortwave radio and the drawbacks on it is the absence of an FM dial and stereo audio output, and optional power source of either battery or AC, and I think it possible when I once had it serviced that a T-can replacement was put in it. It weighs about the same as my daughter's first boom box. Strange, but there is stiil some on-going chatter in Morse code.