Centered my embouchure.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by applianceguy, Nov 25, 2012.

1. applianceguy

applianceguy Pianissimo User

May 22, 2012
    San Antonio Texas
    I was told by my instructor 34 years ago, that if I did not improve my embouchure and use mostly upper lip, then I would not be able to advance very far. I was trying to cram my bigger than normal lips into a 5c mpc. I quit playing in 10th grade, as I seemed to have plateaued, and I could not play in the upper register for an extended period of time.

Fast forward to the here and now, and I finally took his advice, and upgraded to a Giardinelli 1c, a mpc. that my lips actually fit into. Eureeka! I can actually fit my lips into this thing,play with mostly upper lip, and play w/out giving out prematurely. I can still hit the high notes, although that did not come back right away.

It might not work for everyone, but it seems to work for me! I wish I could have afforded a better Mpc. when I was in High school!!

:thumbsup:

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    hey --- that 's great news ------------along with a mpc, there are also techniques (like soft long tones, tonguing, and lip slurs -----------over, and over again) that can help with the upper range.
    but GREAT that you found a mpc that works