Centering the Mouthpiece on the mouth

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SpiritDCI08, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Maynard and Bill Chase played off center, it didn't hurt their sound ,range or endurance.

2. TrumpetPower

TrumpetPower New Friend

Jan 23, 2009
    Virginia Beach, VA
    There was a guy in my hornline when I marched with Carolina Crown that had the same problem. Eventually they got over it as I suppose it wasn't that big of a deal. In the end I would assume they prefer your playing to your posture, but uniformity is a big deal in DCI, as you probably are already aware of.

Maybe try to meet them halfway? At least show effort that you are trying to fix it. That should be enough to please them. In the end, being able to play the right way is far more important then most anything else. (in my unprofessional opinion!)

3. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Unless you're having problems progressing, AND a QUAILFIED TRUMPET TEACHER thinks that the mpc placement is the problem, there's no reason to mess with where you put the mpc. If you're playing well, that's what counts. Lots and lots of great players do not have textbook-looking chops.

4. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    Thanks for the information.
    I think I'll talk to them about it.
    And if they find a problem with it.
    They can find a new soloist for the Balad.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Don't even bother discussing it. You are only asking for a conflict.

The position of the mouthpiece has more to do with the teeth than anything else. Any irregularities make optically less perfect arrangements musically intelligent. Just practice harder. Your body will tell you what is good!

6. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    Mongezi!!!! Yeah!!!! Great player -- I used to hear him on those Robert Wyatt albums on Virgin and I think with the Brotherhood of Breath (with Harry Beckett?)...

bigtiny

7. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    I just had a student who was playing with his horn pivoted upward. It was affecting his breathing and ability to relax and play with a nice sound. I asked him if he played in a drum corp. and he said "yeah when I was a little younger". I asked if that was why he had his horn pivoted upward "yes".

I got him to move the bell of the horn down so that he had an even placement on his lips and his tone improved DRAMATICALLY. He also said he felt more comforatable playing that way.

bigtiny

8. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Yes, Bigtiny : The Brotherhood of Breath, Chris MacGregor, Dudu Pukwana, Mongezi Feza, Louis Moholo, Radu Malfatti, and a lot of british players (among them Harry Beckett, I think sometimes)... What a band ! I have heard (and seen) them several times in the 70's ; at the end of his life, Chris MacGregor was retired in south of France, not so far from my town, Bordeaux. But Mongezi and Dudu were already dead ...

9. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Tiger Okoshi, Hakan Hardenberger (slightly off the center), and the current principal of possibly the finest Orchestra in the world the Berlin Philharmonic has a serious side embouchure. Trumpet playing doesn't require the muscles of a powerlifter. Look at Alison Balsom;-)