Centering Tone

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by limbo, Feb 2, 2009.

1. limbo

limbo New Friend

Aug 1, 2008
    POOPLAND, CHINA

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  2. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    I have found Lip bending and mouthpiece buzzing very helpful.

I would suggest you check out a trumpet player named Adam Rapa. On Youtube he gives 3 mini-classes on lip bending and buzzing. I am not sure how to posts the links here, but you'll find them easily.

Having done this routine for several months I can highly recommend it.

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    This website by Derek Reaban has a ton of information to offer you on tone centering, what it means and how to achieve it. There is a lot there so give it some time and follow the various links to round out your understanding.
    This is where the internet excels.

Resonant Sound

veery

4. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    In my experience young trumpet players tend to play low notes flat and high notes sharp.... usually due to over relaxing or over tightening the embouchure muscles in order to play the notes. So it is probable that centering your tone could expand your range... or at least make your current range easier to play... however, you will only learn to center your tone through time, practice and proper instruction. If you do not have a private instructor I would suggest you find one... even if it is only for one or two lessons... and bring this issue up to them and allow them to show you the way! Also, did you ask your director how to correct the issue he brought up? Keep us updated! Good luck!!

5. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    Funny...I'm trying to do just the opposite. Think my sound is too bright and trying to darken it! How do I do that? :cool:
    Thanks,
    Andrew

6. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

A few sessions with a good private teacher who will play some duets with you will be a great help with your intonation and centering of your tone.

OLDLOU>>

7. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

Relax!! You are trying too hard. Very soft, very long, and very low tones will teach you to listen to your tone over its developement and build extremely strong lip muscles as the result of keeping the tone at the level of intensity that you want and also train those muscles to maintain a constant volume.

OLDLOU>>

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The fastest way to resonance is to play duets with somebody a lot better than you. It doesn't matter if they play trumpet, clarinet, violin or kazoo. Duets force you to listen in ways no other ensemble playing can offer. Keyboards, pianos and tuners are not of great help because they are well or even tempered. That lets you play them in every key equally comprimised.

Find a duet buddy!

9. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    The great Rafael Mendez used to go down to Florida to play duets with a friend who was an amazing clarinet player.

My teacher used to hear them when he was a young man growing up on the same block and he said you knew something special was going on when you heard these duets from outside.

Much later in life he asked Mendez about these duet sessions and Mendez remarked how good these sessions were for his sound and his chops to play with such a gifted musician.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The path is exactly the same. Playing on the resonant center of each tone allows you to relax, thus giving you the most freedom with your palette of colors! Playing off center will make your tone fuzzy or shrill as well as unstable.

My experience is that most players that think that they need to play darker, are missing brilliance in their tone and buying equipment to "darken" things up more makes it even stuffier.

Color of sound is based on your playing habits. The more you practice dark music, the faster your style gets there!