Centex Brass

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bachstradivarius, Oct 1, 2012.

1. bachstradivarius

bachstradivarius New Friend

Sep 27, 2012
    KY
    I'm posting this in two different places in hoping of having a better chance of getting the proper feedback. Sorry for the redundancy. Has anyone here ever heard of this site or have purchased from them? Am looking at one of their instruments listed and they don't seem to have a phone number. Was just wanting to know if anyone had any information about them.

2. study888

study888 Mezzo Forte User

Aug 22, 2005
    Darlington S.C.
    Centex,I believe is a member on this site and maybe the Trumpet Herald. Or he may just post time to time on both sites. He was one of our Olds Experts in the past.

I too was interested in this Mendez Cornet He has for sale on E-Bay. This one takes the older #0 Shank Olds Mendez Cornet mouthpiece. When I E-Bay p.m.ed him about a olds mouthpiece for this Mendez Cornet. He said he did not have one for it.

There is a been buffed,used 0 shank Mendez Cornet M.P. for sale on E-Bay. Seller is asking $135.00 for a Cornet M.P./I may not even like rim wise or cup depth wise. For that price should be brand new.

Since Centex Mendez Cornet was a 1956 year make,was hoping it had the newer old's cornet mouthpiece reciever. This one may have been the last batch in the mid year before the upgrade on the mouthpiece reciever.

The Mendez Cornet that was over looked. Was the one that Dillon Music sold last month. It was listed in original mint condition with original case and Mendez cornet mouthpiece. Believe it was a early 60's model. If it had come up for sale in November,would have bought it.

Want to give one of these a whirl. Wish someone that owns one,would do a sound clip on the You Tube to get a idea how this Olds long bell Cornet plays. Good luck

3. Darten

Darten Mezzo Piano User

Dec 21, 2009
    New York City
    Clay is a stand up guy, and a first class businessman. I have bought from him in the past, and I will buy from him in the future... No questions asked.... He will even work out a payment program for you, should your eyes be bigger than your wallet.

(I am in no way an affliate nor a paid spokesman for Centex Brass)

4. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    That Darten guy is Centex's top salesman, think Glen Gary Glen Ross.........

Just kidding.. :-)

Clay is OK in my book.

5. study888

study888 Mezzo Forte User

Aug 22, 2005
    Darlington S.C.
    Ditto,Centex does have very good E-Bay feed back. That is a very important item to look at. Has sold some nice Olds Horns in the past.

6. Darten

Darten Mezzo Piano User

Dec 21, 2009
    New York City
    More like Darten Gary Darten Ross...... thanks Mendez.

7. Wondra

Wondra Pianissimo User

Mar 29, 2007
    I as well have purchased horns from Clay. He is easy to do business with and is an Olds expert to boot.

8. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    Another vote for Clay - he's provided some of my very best horns, and I have no regrets about any transaction I've had with him.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    ... like that Charlie Melk redone Olds Studio Recording... I have my eye on that one, and if paydirt hits at the end of my 90 days filing period, I will chunck down the cash for that puppy.

10. dr-pepp

dr-pepp Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2005
    Austin TX
    Thanks for all the positive comments! And one reply...

I was wrong... this cornet takes a standard shank cornet moutnpiece.

Centex Brass: Olds Mendez Cornet