Cerebral Hemorrhaging!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by soul3n, May 1, 2007.

1. soul3n

soul3n New Friend

Apr 1, 2006
    So I was in my H.S. orchestra class today, and I told my director it was difficult for me to hit the higher notes and I told him that this uncomfortable pressure forms at the nose. Anyway he mentioned that this trumpeter by the name of Godfried Wright (SP?) died from cerebral hemorrhaging from having too much trouble playing the trumpet. He said he was playing a natural horn so it was alot harder to hit the different notes. I found it pretty interesting and I was searching some articles about pressure and cerebral hemorrhaging and didn't find anything. Plus I see all these pros playing all the double C's and such. It's kind of scary knowing that can happen if you try really hard to hit the notes. Kind of scared me away from trying. Just something to discuss.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    For more about Johann Sebastian Bach's trumpeter, Gottfried Reiche, see:
    Gottfried Reiche - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He was pretty old when he died, and it didn't happen while playing, so we don't try to weasel more money when playing Bach because they're killer pieces in that respect. (They are killer pieces, to be sure, but mostly for the strings sitting in front of us!)

Have fun!

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you do not have a history of blood disease, I would not worry about hemorraging. Some of the clarinet players may consider trumpet players with a double c brain dead, but that is their problem.......
    High notes require higher air pressure and that WILL be noticable to you. Practice lower notes more loudly and gradually increase your range. Nothing is for free, the bit of brute force needed to play a trumpet is not only a male thing though..........

4. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    I noticed that I have the high head pressure if I am caught chest breathing above the staff. Correct breath/air support should help prevent the head pressure.
    Some others should comment on this aspect of breath support.

5. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    The worry is not "blood disease" but a family history of cardiovascular disease, such as high blood pressure, strokes and coronary artery disease. Even with a family history, a young person in high school has little to fear in most cases. (No fainting spells yet, right?)

Dave

6. soul3n

soul3n New Friend

Apr 1, 2006
    Mmm I've never fainted before, just dizzy spells.

Does anyone have info on that guy that died from cerebral hemorrhaging as I mentioned before? or other cases? I just thought that was pretty interesting. People have asked me "doesn't that cause brain damage from all that pressure?" heh.

7. Walter

Walter Piano User

Sep 11, 2006
  8. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    Quincy Jones. His doctor told him to stop playing trumpet.
    Maybe he had high blood pressure?

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
  10. soul3n

soul3n New Friend

Apr 1, 2006
    Anyway, the guy who died from Cerebral hemorrhaging was playing Brandenberg Sinfonia #2 for trumpet. Godfried Wright? (SP?) doesn't ring a bell?