CG Systematic Approach

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dreads, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Dreads

Dreads New Friend

Jun 9, 2010
    This book came in the post today (About Time). I'm about to start this 52 week course and just wondering if there are any pointers I need before I start. Unfortunately I don't have access to a teacher at the moment so I'm going solo on this one. I'm pretty sure this book contains no tunes, should I still play tunes whilst I work my way through or play only what is in the book?

Also, looking at the first lesson, the exercises get pretty damn high. Do I need to be able to play the highest note in this lesson in order to move on to lesson 2?

Thanks!

2. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Man I don't know but I'm eager to hear what people say, since I want to get this book someday.

3. Dreads

Dreads New Friend

Jun 9, 2010
    Iv only experienced the first lesson so far and its pretty good. Ended up going for about 2 hours of long tones! I just want to know if I should also incorporate parts of my usual practise routine such as slurs,tunes and articulation.

4. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    There is nothing wrong, and everything right with just doing what you can. Don't force the issue on the high notes. They may come in time. Why not continue with your regular routine? Hasn't it served you well until now? Do the instructions say to stop everything else? My guess is the exercises in this book are to build stamina and and range and they only come with playing more and more gradually and giving yourself plenty of rest between practices and even sections of practices.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You need more tunes than methodology. All of the technique in the world will not teach one how to make music. There are many here ar TM that confuse high notes with music too.
    I am convinced that Claude Gordons method needs professional explaining based on the players results.

Good luck.

6. Dreads

Dreads New Friend

Jun 9, 2010
    I just thought maybe doing my usual routine would 'interrupt' the progress I make with the book. I'm sure I heard someone say that you must just play what's in the book, lesson by lesson... Maybe that was just bs.

7. Dreads

Dreads New Friend

Jun 9, 2010
    Perhaps a better question would be, Should I prioritise the systematic approach over my usual routine? For instance, Play the long tones in lesson 1 for an hour, then do my usual routine for an hour?

8. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I've met and discussed the CG method with many students and teachers, including my brother, an erstwhile player and student of the CG method and to the person, they used, a teacher to guide them. If that's simply not possible, don't push it. Rest as much as you play, read all of the collateral material. Frankly, I don't know how one can learn pedal tones PROPERLY, for example, without guidance on technique, sound and purpose. There are many, many routines out there, some requiring more one-on-one instruction than others. I worked without a net for most of my development but had some guidance. For CG, IMO, you should find some.

Good luck,

Ed

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010